Why is it that when I say my son watched "not age appropriate" movies at 3 do some of you automatically act like he ONLY watched those and never had any other "age appropriate" experience ever?

I mean really..?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 12:50 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Some people think do it once and do it all the time. Or do not do it once and you never do it .. like my husband ; )
    cloverlover24

Answer by cloverlover24 at 12:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Just from what I know of you from here - I would have to say my kids have seen a lot more "non-age-appropriate" movies than yours... And I know mine don't sit and watch Naked Zombies (lol) all day... So frankly, I would assume yours' doesn't either... Children are drawn mostly to entertainment on their level, and aren't going to usually be interested in the other stuff because they don't get it and don't enjoy it... I would guess your kids aren't any different and prefer PBS to MTV any day!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Because they believe that by shaming you, they can assure themselves that they are better parents. HOWEVER, only you know your son and can approve what he watches, the most anyone else can say is: dude, I wouldn't have done that with my kid. And then move politely on. But then, they can't receive the proverbial "gold parenting star".

I have more children then I care to mention and what one of them watched at 3 may have been perfectly fine for them, but not their brother or sister at the same age. Also, something that one of them watched at 3, may have been way to simple for them. :)

Parent for your fam. :)
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• You will get a lot of different responses! Try to brush it off, or go back to that answer & write more to explain
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I am with you hun! Smle, you are so popular that noone can get past the thought of your response! LOL
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• mrsmom, I really hope you dont consider yourself a religious woman, because you are ALWAYS judgemental, snotty, rude, and self centered, which makes me believe that you are not even 1/2 the parent you make yourself out to be! Its sad, but true, most people are snotty because they are ashamed of themsleves!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My son is 7yrs old and watches Ace Ventura Pet detective...he loves it!! lol. Them ASSuming just makes them look bad so I wouldn't let them bother you. There are a lot of mom's on here like that.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I wonder the same thing. In the same day, my own kid will watch Zombieland and Dead Space and then go right into watching Dora or Diego, and then some Phineas and Ferb.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I let my 7 year old watch "Alien" because I knew it he wouldn't be scared by it and he'd enjoy it. Half way through the movie he said "mom, you know what they should do...they should escape in the shuttle and blow up the ship. BUT! They need to be careful that the Alien isn't on the shuttle with them". Unbelievable! Yep, and then he'd watch Aladdin...or Thomas the Tank Engine...again!
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I think it all comes down to wanting to be the BEST MOM in their own minds.... I mean, you did this -so you must do it always- making you horrible . "I've" never done it -so that makes me better- MY ideas are better, my kids are the best, and I never do anything wrong....
    I hope you get what I'm saying!! lol It's that constant quest to feel supperior to others that some have and I'm guess you (nor I) have! :)

Just curious -- what was the start to all of this, what movie or show was it?

mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 23, 2010