What if it was your kid?

Last week I saw a story about a father whose middle school child w/ a disability was being bullied at school & on the bus. So he accompanied her on the bus so she could point out the bullies, which he told (yes, w/ profanity) that they better leave his child alone. He also told the bus driver (yes w/ profanity) that a better job needs to be done to protect his child. Now he's in trouble- but as a parent I was cheering him on! What would you have done?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• While it might not be the best way to go about that, if one of my kids had a disability and was going through something like that, I don't think I could restrain myself.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 1:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It's hard to say what you would do when protecting your child. I wonder if he went thru proper channels first and gave the driver a chance to fix the problem. I do think more needs to be done to stop bullying but I'm not sure this was the solution. I can see why he would do this and deep down I applaud him but I dont want parents to be on the bus disciplining eachothers children or cussing them out all the time. what he did was wrong.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Nothing pisses me off more than an adult NOT helping a child in a situation like that! ESPECIALLY a school bus driver or teacher, coach ETC!!!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would have done it too. If I got in trouble than so be it but I wouldn't just let it be.
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 12:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I don't know if i would have done what he did, but I would have spent a lot of time getting something done about it
    singlemomof2nok

Answer by singlemomof2nok at 12:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• my children will never ride the bus, my brother was bullied on the bus when we were kids and i refuse to let my children ride a bus, that is the main reason, but there are others too

i'm not sure what i would've done if that were my child but i'm pretty sure it would've been ugly
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:56 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'm not saying I would have done the same. As a parent, you want to protect your child. Of course you get pissed. I have NO problem with the guy confronting those kids. Maybe profanity could have been left out. Where is the anti-bully rule? Is it being enforced? I don't think this guy should be in trouble. His poor DD.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• same thing! Good job dad
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would have done it. My son will never ride the bus.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'm with you I think I may actually have done the same thing if it was happening to my children. but i was watching the news about this before and they sid they werent going to press charges, did something change?
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 2:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2010