Why would anyone want to open or stay in business in America?

In the current climate and even before Obama we have been the country with the least business friendly atmosphere in the world. Not very enticing is it? I've heard many complain that businesses leave and it's all their fault that we are in this position but it's obvious to me why they do it and it's easily fixed though it might take time.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If this country is so crappy then why would so many people around the world give anything to live here?

***

People want to live in America because of the FREEDOMS we enjoy that NO OTHER COUNTRY enjoys to the same degree as we do. But, unless you can corner a high demand niche or product in the business world, doing business in America is a tough climb and an unfriendly climate--especially if you become successful!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• A lot of larger corporations are moving/have moved significant portions of their companies overseas. I'd love to blame it on the Obama administration, but it's been going on for years. The true culprit(s) are the environmentalists, the unions, and special interest groups that demand workers be paid maximum wages for minimum effort. It's expensive to do business in America. My DH had to start buying steel from China because the cost of steel in the US was 10 times more expensive. He couldn't compete buying American raw materials. Ridiculous.

The Obama administration is going to negatively impact the small business owners the worst. The sick thing is that these small businesses employ over 50% of the workforce. If some of his new policies (tax repeals, insurance, 1099's) make it into law, I can see a lot of these companies laying off/closing their doors/moving manufacturing.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I do not believe that people are shying away from business ownership. In fact, the current philosophy in many MBA programs is the future is in owning your own business. My husband and son are very interested in starting a family business. i just needs to finish his degree program and the other needs to scale back, step down or retire from his day job.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

I don't think people are crossing the mexican border in search of lower business taxes.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I guess I am, because it pays my bills. Quite effectively. :)
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I do not think it is ant-business here. People are still wanting to start their business. I wish more people would tap into green products. I think if the market really opened up with solar panels...the prices would go down. Just my 2 cents.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• regulation is worth the expense, look at the crap that goes on in China.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• WHY? Because they can and this is a great country.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Both of my parents owned their own business, my dad still does and has been self-employed since 1974. I have owned businesses for 7 years and supported myself for 4 of them without other income, now my husband is self employed and makes a good living. I work for a small business. Everybody works for somebody, right? (If they are employed, I mean.)
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2010