Post partum infection

A good friend of mine had a c-section on Monday night after a complicated labor, and has had a fever coming and going ever since. She said they took blood cultures, but I told her to get them to take a culture of the incision and possibly her uterus (her incision is swollen, and another friend of mine just recovered from a uterine infection that put her in the hospital a week PP). Any other advice for what they can do?

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 12:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Health

• Hopefully they don't discharge her with a fever. She'll be back in the ER. I had that happen to me. I did run a fever and was in the hospital for 10 days. I had to be fever free for 48 hours before they let me go home. I was back in the ER two days later because my incision was leaking. It was reopened.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• She needs to get seen and put on an antibiotic regime before she ends up with endomyometritis or a reopened c-section.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I think they need to do oth a uterine and incision swab and culture. Sounds like she needs to be on a antibiotic regimen.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 1:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• She's still in the hospital, but is due to be discharged today, so I'm trying to encourage her to get whatever done she can while they're still there.
    musicpisces

Comment by musicpisces (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It is sooo hard on the body to go thru a rough labor then have a c/s, These types of experiences are why c/s complication rates are as high as they are. Its like you ran a marathon THEN had a major surgery. You body is so taxed its hard to heal. Did both friends give birth at the same hosptial? Seems unusual for both tho have uterine infections since they are not very common. I wonder if they had abx given to them during the c/s? I did for both of mine. One bag of IV abx with both of them while in recovery room.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• That's why I worry. Different hospitals, but I know she had 10+ vaginal exams during her labor (I was her coach), so I'm very worried.
    I'm not sure if they gave her antibiotics. I had a c-section at the same hospital, and I did get them, but she said they didn't give her anything that burned (they burned when I got them). So not sure.
    The friend with the uterine infection had a normal vaginal birth, so there's no telling where her infection came from, but it happens. This time, again, I know she had a ton of vaginal exams, and she had an epidural, fetal scalp electrode and internal pressure catheter. So I'm looking at that, knowing that every time they do in, it inevitably pushes bacteria up there.
    musicpisces

Comment by musicpisces (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I had a really bad UTI a few days after giving birth by C-section. She really should get checked to see what is going on. I ran a horrible fever all of a sudden one night, because of mine.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 9:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Just in case anyone checks back, I thought I'd give an update- my friend's incision has since opened TWICE, and she is STILL going back every day to get her wound packed. She's not going back to work until February at this point, at least.
    musicpisces

Comment by musicpisces (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Oh, and they DID discharge her with a fever! I couldn't believe it! She went back a few days later and got antibiotics, but obviously it was too late.
    musicpisces

Comment by musicpisces (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2010