Who is Welfare/Public Assistance really meant to help?

I work hard. I am raising my son on my own after a divorce that my ex initiated. I work 40+ hours a week and have to send him to daycare because I work second shift. I make a decent living, provided nothing goes wrong during the month, i.e. car issues, unexpected bills. There have been a few times where I have struggled to put food on the table or pay the rent. During those times, I turned to the one place I thought was there to help people like me and found I was sorely mistaken. I was told that I make too much. I was also told by a caseworker that if I were pregnant, they could actually help.

So who are programs like that really meant to help - those who are trying and just need a leg up, or those who really don't want to do anything to better themselves?

And I am not referring to SAHM's who choose to raise their kids while their husbands work to support them. I respect your decision.

ruthie11617

Asked by ruthie11617 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Neither. It is a guaranteed voting block for the democrat party. Make them dependent on the state and then promise them you will always make sure they don't lose their free ride. Convince them that there is no way they can make it on their own. PA was intended to be a bridge, but now it is a prison, slavery, oppression........
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It's supposed to be temporary while a family is finding its feet again. It's assumed that's its not a forever thing.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I agree, I was on food stamps before but I was working and goimg to school full time, most the people I've known that get assistance ( I'm talking over 300 in foodstamps, rental assistance and cash) just stayed ome and sat on their ass.... When i had foodstamps I got $90.... How is that going to help feed 3 ppl unless we ate top ramen all month.... On top of that they wouldn't help me with rent or anything.... It sucks, I know there are alot of people who abuse the system and I wish they could weed them out. ( I'm not bashing those who need it!!)
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I have NEVER understood why they look at your GROSS income. It makes no sense. And I do believe that most of the time it really seems to only help those who sit at home and do nothing because if you ARE working you max out of the system and get NO help and are STILL struggling!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It should be for people like you. Working, trying to raise your child, etc.

Instead it does to people who are sahm's, neither working nor trying to find a job, etc.

I hope it gets better for you and your child. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• maan I cant find it NOW but a while back there was an article wher CA was figuring $80 million into their budget to cover welfare fraud!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Very few people abuse the system.

Really?

And that is determined by the people they catch or just the people who turn themselves in?

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Anyone who needs it..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 1:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Its meant to help people who dont make enough money in TN where i live it if you make less than 18,000 year and depending on your assets and how many children you have. My husband and I have 3 children i'm a stay at mom and my hubby works full time at a grocery store and also goes to a community college we dont qualify for welfare but we do get insurance ( only our children) and food stamps ( $640) a month.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2010