What should a two year old know about God?

And how do I go about teaching him? Were christians. And I know theres going to be a lot of immature posts, but I would like some serious answers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly, I really don't know how much your child would be able to comprehend at this point.... I'm assuming you take him to church already? I was at Target the other day, and they actually have a children's section of religious books for toddlers, maybe that would be a start?

By the way, I'm not religious, but I'm not immature either, heh. Well, most of the time, anyway ;)
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• We did what our preschool did (our little guy did the 2 yr old program sicne he was so social). We just did bible stories like Noah, Jonah, etc... All positive nice stories without violence. For the easter story - he was 3 then - we said some people were mean to Jesus, he died, and then rose 3 days later. We will be avoiding the "mean God" stories like Abraham and Isaac, Job, etc... for quite a while. They are not stories for little kids IMO. They are more adult content.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Probably depends on the 2yr. old. My one daughter at 2 1/2 asked Jesus into her heart all on her own. I would tell them that God made them, and loves them. As you continue to talk of God around them, I had them watchChristian kid shows, listen to Chrisitan kid music in the car when we drove, and read them stories, They will continue to learn more and understand more about him as they get older. Even taking them to church or sunday classes if your church has them would be a good option.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would start with some hard bound books with Bible stories in them and colorful pictures. Veggie Tales DVD'S are always both informative and fun for a little one. Short prayers before meals and bedtime would be appropriate. Answer any questions with appropriate age vocabulary and remember Jesus said the gospel is simple enough for even little ones to understand. Starting here I would continue to build the foundation as the child grows older.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 1:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My friend got me a really cool "bible" for tiny ones... it is about 7 pgs long (board book) and the outside is all furry and it's called "Tiny Bear's Bible". It's all little short poems that rhyme and tell about major bible stories. The first one is called "God Made The World" or something like that. It tells about Noah and Adam & Eve and David & Goliath & stories like that. It's really cute and DD loves them. Also at night I make sure we pray and thank God for everything good that happened during the day and thank Him for the people in our lives and to bless them. She always says "Bless Mommy!!" without me saying anything and it makes me feel so good. :) I know their comprehension is questionable at this point but in every other area of learning, I just talk to them & explain everything in words they can understand whether I think they can comprehend or not... they just might be able to. You never REALLY know...
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 1:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I forgot to mention a excellent book by Max Lucada, that we read our little girl from birth. It is called, In Case You Ever Wonder. The story is touching and beautiful as are the illustrations.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 1:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would recommend "Hide 'Em in Your Heart" by Steve Green also the Children's Small Catechism.

Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• A two year certainly is old enough to begin learning about God. My daughter when she was two told me she was afraid to die because God had no color and she was going to be able to find him. She came up with this after fishy died and I explained he went to fishy heaven to be with God. Too funny. There is also a wonderful program called AWANA which is national and offered by many churches. It starts with kids as young as 3. All my children went through it (now they are 16, 14, 12) and learned a ton and developed a greater relationship with Christ. Learning to pray at this age is also wonderful.
    LaughingDoc

Answer by LaughingDoc at 2:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Honestly, I don't think they should know anything at that point. Most adults I know have enough trouble wrapping their brain around the idea of God... I don't think a child of that age can really comprehend what they are being taught til they are older. I would say stick to Bible stories & videos to introduce them to the concept, but I would think any real "teaching" would be needed at this point.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My kids are 3 and 4, they just don't understand and they aren't interested. we pray at dinner, read a Noah's ark book form time to time and read the Christmas story, but that is all for now.

.Lovinglife.

Answer by .Lovinglife. at 3:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2010