Other than cereal is there anything else you can give?

Is there anythink other than cereal that you can add to a babys bottle to help them get a little fuller? Like is there any babyfood that is thin enough to be mixed with formula and go through the nipple? Or what about the grits that some people eat? What do you give your little one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The simple answer is no. How old is your baby?
    Pat-S

Answer by Pat-S at 3:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• you can start feeding cereals or any other kind of foods beside formula or breastmilk when the baby is 3-4 months old. You feed it with the spoon, not the bottle.

if you baby is younger than that and still hungry after a bottle, then make the formula thicker, dont add anything else in there.

if you brestfeed, then do that and also give your little one some formula.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Actually hon, unless your Dr. told you to put the cereal into the bottle, (and most won't anymore) you're really not supposed to be doing that. It can be a choking hazard and it doesn't teach them to eat properly. (This is what I've been told).

We started my son at 4 months on very thin cereal fed to him with a spoon. This was on the early end for cereal, but the Dr. gave us the go ahead and he was definitley ready. How old is your baby?
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• last poster is right. no cereal in bottle and no solids till at least 4 months
    vampire2007

Answer by vampire2007 at 3:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• babies have to eat often because their tummies are tiny.
    during a growth spurt they eat more frequently, as well.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I also agree, my nephew is just about 4 months, but since birth he has always screamed and cried. We started giving him more formula, then the doctor cut him back to 4 oz cause he was eating like an 8 month old. But honestly, if they are hungry, make the formula thicker by adding a little more than is required, and/or use a smaller nipple so they eat slower to get fuller, faster. There is nothing else to give them.
    NightMarezMommy

Answer by NightMarezMommy at 3:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I would also agree and I'm the queen of cereal in bottles and food too soon. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving advice on this unless I knew how old your baby was and I would never give my son baby food in a bottle.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 3:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• No cereal in bottles. If they can't take it on a spoon, they're not ready for it.

How old is the baby? At certain ages they're supposed to be bottomless pits. Generally, ages divisible by three.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My daughters pedi had me put baby oatmeal in her bottle at 2.5 months to help combat reflux and constipation without medications. I really wouldn't do it unless you have consulted with your childs doctor. They will tell you if it is safe for your child, and if it is, the proper amount ratios.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2008