Caffeine for ADHD? Any suggestions on how much or in what form?

Our preschool teacher suggested giving Max a little caffeine before class to see if it would him settle a bit since he practically vibrates with excitement and hyperactivity during class. I really don't want to give him soda (its a special thing when it gets it), but he is not a fan of coffee beverages. I tried hiding some instant coffee in his chocolate milk but he didn't go for it. Any ideas for caffiene that are not soda or coffee related?

karamille

Asked by karamille at 2:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I caffeine treat my sons adhd, and it wont work well if you mix it with something that has sugar in it. You are pretty much counteractiving what you need to do by mixing the coffee with chocolate milk. Plain coffee mixed with milk is what i use for my son or if you can find the low dose caffeine pills (400 - 600 mgs is what my ped suggested about 100mg per year up to age 6) they work really good to. I believe No-doze has one out. good luck
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• pill form or 5 hour energy shots.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Chocolate has caffine in it
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 2:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• good question, I'm eager to hear the answers.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Has anyone tried Water Joe? I saw it at the grocery store. Max drinks water, but I don't know if he would go for drinking a WHOLE bottle before school unless I flavored it someonw.
    karamille

Comment by karamille (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010