How do I encourage my 12 month old to stop pinching my skin?

My daughter likes to touch the skin around my neck and upper chest. She likes to grab "some" with her index and thumb but this hurts me a bit. She does it when I hold her and pay attention or talk to others. She also does this at night when I hold her in my lap and read stories or rock her.

2Momz

Asked by 2Momz at 3:15 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• simply tell her that it hurts you. She should be able to understand what it means.

My daughter used to do that, sometimes she still does and then i just tell her "Corian, you are not suppose to do that. You know that it hurts mommy." .. i give her a sad face and then she gives me a kiss .. thats her way of saying "im sorry." :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Pinch her back. Not hard LOL. Just to let her know how it feels. Pinch her easy then say owie! and make a sad face.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I agree with m.roberston above. Just tell her that it hurts when she does that. When she does it again, give a little "ouch?!" and tell her again that it hurts you. I'm sure you'll get a good response from her. You'll probably have to go through this a few times as it's become a habit for her. Best wishes to y'all...
    ProudTexan71

Answer by ProudTexan71 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My daughter used to pull my hair every morning! (She is 15 months). I would try to stay calm, take her hand out of my hair, and say "no, that hurts mommy" in a firm voice. It took a little while but she got it.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My son used to gnaw, pinch and pull hair. If I told him no he just laughed. The only thing that worked was to put him down and walk away from from him. For him it was a way of getting negative attention. Denied that attention, he stopped.
    camdsmom

Answer by camdsmom at 4:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2008