Can they take PE away from my ADD/ADHD son for not finishing his work in class?

dsmom816

Asked by dsmom816 at 2:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Not if you don't allow it. He needs it more than a non ADHD kiddo.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• no. It's a class, not recess. They can take recess away from him, but why PE?
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 2:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• They *can* but it is against federal guidelines. Most teachers are unaware, and use it as a punishment. My dd's teacher did a couple of years ago, I went to the school and corrected the situation.
    How does it makes sense to take a kid who NEEDS to run off some steam, and make them sit? Yes, lets add to the problem.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would say no, I would hope that they wouldn't be taking away another class (that generally grades, even if it's just an "S" cause they showed up and participated). I would think that detention, or loss or recess or something like that would be more appropriate than taking away PE time. I would definatly be talking to the school and if you are not satisfied, the school board!
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 2:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• PE is a class usually required by the state's education standards and they cannot take that. They can restrict recess, but usually there are also standards set for physical activity also - such as a minimum of 15-30 minutes of physical activity a day.....but they can make it so your child is walking a track or not playing with friends.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I think that sound stupid. The child needs to burn energy thats why he can't sit still to begin with. To take away the one class where he can do that would seem to be counteracting what they want from him. But i agree with Obby, i believe PE is part of the required corriculum they can't take that away.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• will they take pe away from my son for not doing his home work.i dont see why they would do that he can finsh the rest of it a home.
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 10:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• They *can*, but shouldn't & it should be addressed quickly!!! AND, Just incase you didn't know - a child diagnosed by a dr with add/adhd is eligible for an IEP.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 12:43 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• no they need it more. and if there is no IEP make sure one gets in place ASAP
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 9:59 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Nope only recess
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:28 AM on Sep. 25, 2010