Do you think a kid should earn their first car or have their parents buy them one?

I went to a rich high school but I had to earn my car. I didn't get one til senior year because i had to be able to pay for at least half and my dads limit that he would pay was 2500

Anyway I see so many kids driving nicer cars then mine...So what do you think?? I think my kids should earn it or at least pay half...By the time they are old enough with car prices I might pay a little more but I expect them to work and save a little for a car.

Smiley001

Asked by Smiley001 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Earn it.. I'm so sick of seeing hard working people driving around in rustbuckets & stuck up little brats in 100,000 cars!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Honestly, I am a firm believer in hand me down cars. I won't be buying my son a new car but when its time to head off to college I just might had him down my car. With the expectation that he will pay for repairs, gas, and insurance.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i would much rather help my dd with the upkeep of the car but not the original purchase, i just feel like she would appreciate it more when she has to work for it.
    moncrief_tara

Answer by moncrief_tara at 2:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Earn it. Just having/driving a car is a huge responsibility, they need to prove they're up to it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I was financially able to get them a car, not a brand new one but a car nonetheless, they earned it by abiding by the rules and getting good grades and never giving me trouble.  I chose for my kids not to work during school because I wanted their main focus to be their grades and in the long run ended up making more money than any job would have given them because they got scholarships to college.

Answer by older at 2:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I think parents who do the "I'll meet you half way" deal are right on the money. I bought my first car when I had my permit. When I graduated high school, my dad bought me a newer car because I graduated with a 4.0GPA and that was our deal all through high school. So yes, I did work hard for my second car!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My kids are so close in age that I would be afraid to give one a hand me down car because Id be worried I couldn't do it for my younger one a couple years later
    Smiley001

Comment by Smiley001 (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• If I had the money to buy my children a car, I would. But it would be used against them when needed. If they started doing badly in school or disobeyed, they would get it taken away.

In our case, our kids will probably have hand me down cars or have to work to pay for at least some of it. However, it will still be taken away if needed.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I agree if they do bad in school or disobey to take the car away...I may have paid for most of my car but i wasn't allowed to have it in my name for that reason
    Smiley001

Comment by Smiley001 (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• We will probably give my son a hand me down car.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:37 PM on Sep. 23, 2010