I am hadicapped and making a trip from Calif to NH in Oct. I will have to use a wheelchair from one gate to another. Do any of you work for the airlines, or have travled under the same conditions. How helpful is the airline staff.

thismamacooks

Asked by thismamacooks at 2:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Travel

• If you use their wheelchair then they have someone who pushes you and who will also pull a bag if you have a carry on or whatever. They are nice, it is good to be prepared to give them a small tip. You also get moved to the front of the line for security, or go thru a separate line. I had to get a wheel chair due to back problems and I just requested it with the airline a few days before the trip and then when you get to the airport you let them know and they will have someone come and they take you from there all the way to the gate. They know all the ins and outs and do it a hundred times a day so it's really very easy. All you should need to worry about it making your call before travelling. There was no charge, either, aside from the tip I gave to the guy who was pushing my wheelchair. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Typically they are really helpful. Of course there will always be some nimrod who is having a bad day, but in general I have had no issues with that. You can call ahead to make sure the airline can handle your accomodations, they may be able to assign somebody to personally help you.

Have a good trip!
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 2:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Call the airline and explain your situation. They can have someone at the gate to help you to your next gate. We traveled with my husband's elderly grandparents and the airport people were a godsend. We had two people in wheel chairs and two toddlers in strollers. There is no way we could have made it to our gate in time.

Good luck and safe travels.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Call the airline, let them know what flights you are on, that you are in a wheelchair and need assistance. I know a few "snowbirds" (go to Florida every winter), and this is what they do. The staff is almost always very helpful - just make sure they have that heads-up so they are prepared!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I traveled back from Brazil in a wheel chair. The Brazilian airports were fantastic and so gracious and helpful. In the United Sates, they helped and did their job. The attitude was different. Be sure to have cash for tips.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Usualy they are great. They will pull out the weelchair for you and push you to your next flight. Some airports have the carts where they will pick you up with that and drive you to your next flight.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I know they are really helpful with strollers so I would assume they would be equally helpful with a wheelchair. Good luck and safe travels!
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My dad is in a wheelchair, and I've traveled with him. One thing to be aware of is if you are using your own wheelchair you may have to switch into one of theirs to actually board the airplane. My dad's personal wheelchair was too wide for the aisles on the plane due to the slanted wheels (racing chair style). So, if you have a wide chair you will want to make sure they know in advance that you will need to transfer to an aisle chair to board the plane. I would suggest making sure you arrive plenty early for your initial flight and ask them if they can make sure the airport at your next stop is prepared for you.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2010