sick 2yr old

what can I do for my sick 2 yr old? she has a runny/stuffy nose and a small cough.

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 2:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take her to the doctor for antibiotics. At least call the pharmacy and ask what they reccommend. If your child has a fever,they will say take her to the doctor.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:37 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Cound be allergies. My kiddos are slammed right now with it. But regardless of whether its a cold or allergies, she can have a 1/2 tsp of benadryl or zyrtec. Just remember that benadryl is ever 6 hours and zyrtec is every 24 hours. Don't overlap them.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:39 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• If you are looking for a natural remedie
    1 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup honey
    fresh peppermint or 1 peppermint stick broken up
    Heat in sauce pan just until comes to boil. then let cool. You can administer 1 tsp every other hour, or stir into a nice warm tea / warm milk if no fevor and let them sip it in a sippy when ever wanted for cough.

For that nasty stuffy nose give her some peppermint herbal tea (non caffiene) or use some saline water up the nose

wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I work in the ER and it sounds like she has the same thing every other child has. On top of the medication recommended by karamille, I would put children's vicks on her back and chest when she goes to bed. I use it on my son and it always seems to help him sleep better.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• dancer, I think it's dangerous to automatically assume a child needs antibiotics. Most of the time colds like this are viral and antibiotics are completely unnecessary and can even be harmful.
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 3:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2010