The dentist

When did you first take your baby, to the dentist. My dd is 7 months old, and has her two bottom teeth that just popped up.

mommy2be77

Asked by mommy2be77 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dentist said they should start coming when they're 1yo. mostly so they feel comfortable and they're used to coming 2x a year when they get older
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 2:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i took my 2 yr old for her 1st time to the dentist.but they say when they first get teeth you can get them an appt to have them looked at it all depends on the dentist also some wont see them some will.i know i had to take my baby because she had gotten black on her teeth from her bottle but it came right off with their cleaning tools.she was 6mths.so id say as long as your are brushing them and ur 7mth old doesn't get black on teeth be fine...my dentist i take my girls to say they start seeing them at 2yrs
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 2:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I took my son at 9 months old, but only because I thought one of his teeth was cracked. He is now 17 months old and just had his 3rd visit.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I thought it was 3-years-old that you took them.... My 2.5 hasn't been yet. We are waiting until she's 3.

But as soon as teeth pop up you start brushing twice a day. I still don't use toothpaste for my 9-month-old though.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• 3 years.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Mine was 15 months. They recommend 1 year now (instead of 3 years) mainly so that your child can get used to and get comfortable with someone poking around in their mouth, messing with their teeth and such. Think about it, you're 3 years old, going to the dentist for the first time and he's going to start you off by cleaning your teeth. You don't know what to think, or who this strange person is and you're scared as hell. But now look at the 3 year old who has had checkups every 6 months since he was a year old. Mostly the only thing the dentist has done up to that point is just look inside the mouth and maybe give a flouride wipe over the teeth. He's used to it, he's comfortable and he trusts the dentist by this point.

Other reason being so they can check for any early signs of decay or whatnot.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• They recommend a year, unless you see signs of decay or something that looks wrong. I took my son at 12 months. He did great. My friend took her son at 9 months. You CAN take them any time after they get teeth. They just want to be sure you take them at or before 1. :) My son has another appt at 18 months :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My dentist said around 3 years old. She said some people will say younger, but she prefers to see them around 3.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2010