health care reform

Can some one please out line what it should mean to me? I am a mother of one, DH is getting laid off. and we didn't even make 15000 a year to begin with. we have blue cross blue shield, and out medical will be going on cobra when he is laid off.

I have tried reading about it but keep getting confused, please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• 1) the "healthcare reform" bill that went through doesn't fully take effect until 2014
    2) His COBRA will not be effected negatively or positively at this point. He will most likely either have to pay his full COBRA amount, or apply for state aid either helping pay the amount, or for health coverage in general (for either the family or at least your child)

Personal view: What was passed was not "Healthcare reform:" meant for or that will help the general public. It was a big government gimme to insurance companies full of subsidies. That's about it..

I wish you guys the best in getting some good health coverage for your family.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Effective today, insurance companies cannot terminate someone's insurance coverage because of a "technical" error on an application, insurance companies can't impose a maximum lifetime benefit, and health screenings (mammograms, prostate exams) may not have a deductible.

There are a lot more changes coming, effective at different times, but I don't think that anything in the "reform" is planned for Cobra short term (if it is not repealed).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:16 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• What Pixie said!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:54 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• How will you pay for cobra?
    If none of you have any chronic illnesses, you may want to have no insurance.
    Cobra is several hundred a month, isn't it? at 15,000 a year, you may be better off just paying cash for a dr. visit.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'm sorry. I hope things work out! DH lost his job & our insurance 21 months ago. We're still jobless. Then I got breast cancer. Its not easy at all. Hope things work out well for you!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 8:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2010