I really would like to know!

So whenever PA comes up it is always sooo many people scam them. Well my question is how do they do it. Most if not all of you know I am on PA and there is so much red tape and so many forms to fill out and so many privacy laws I really do not understand how it can be done. I just got back from the PA office for the third time this week because of paperwork. How do people scam them?(this is a serious question please no bashing)

delilahsmom1177

Asked by delilahsmom1177 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• PA i think is impossible to scam around here.

food stamps is alot easier to scam because you dont need to take anyone to court for child support to get food stamps.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Tell me about it - from what I know they check your bank accounts, your paychecks are automatically in their computers (at least here they are), there's no way to lie or fudge unless you're getting cash under the table and not accounting for it. You have to have copies of leases saying how much you really pay in rent, you have to show your utilities. I don't understand how people take advantage of it, other than hiding cash or having tons of children in order to up the amount they receive, but not every baby born by people on PA happens that way....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• welp having lived in the inner city of chicago in a CHA high rise, i have some perspective here
    1)not everyone living in the household is stated on the application
    2)cash income is RARELY reported properly if at all
    3)there are corner stores in every city, every town, even small ones. who will BUY food stamps. they run the card for DOUBLE the cash value of what the person wants in cash OR wants in merchandise from the store be it booze etc. and no sooner does one get closed down than 3 more pop up willing to do it. including cashing wic checks for half thier value for things like cigs, booze, etc.
    4)if your landlord is willing to lie about your rent for a kickback that is another way to cheat
    5)you dont have to have copies of leases. if you just live with other people , they can write up someting bogus stating you pay $300 for a room and utilities when you actually pay only $100
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 3:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• They know the laws and rules and they know what they need to say and do.

My sister is one of the losers that take advantage of this. She is at the offices for this almost everyday. It has become a job for her.

P.A Is for the very needy. It is not a second check so you can buy new cars and keep up with the Jones!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 3:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Why don't you ask Obama's aunt?

No, seriously, I'll answer you.
    #1- they are here illegally and receive benefits. (see Obama's aunt)
    #2- they work under the table at sometimes excellent paying jobs and still sign up for benefits.
    #3- They live in different situations than they present to the state. For instance, a woman may live with her boyfriend, and thus have two incomes contributing to the household, but present that she has one, and then collect assistance on all the bills, rent, etc, and effectively you have people living very well on the taxpayer dime.
    #4- They have their children misdiagnosed with disabilities and collect SSI and receive benefits for them.
    #5- they take their foodstamps and sell them for drug money.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I know of people (friend in social services) that have used dead children's SSN's, claim residency of the US with forged documents, and work under the table and don't report the income. There are also people that claim to live alone/single when they live with their parents or an SO, and people that have income from trusts, etc. and they don't report it.

There are also people that simply believe assistance is a way of life, something they deserve, and do nothing to better their financial position.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Men my hubby worked with who made the SAME he did and would BRAG about how their SO had to get their McDonalds job for the month so they could qualify for food stamps and section 8 and although he was LIVING there and providing the income...they didnt report it!! BRAGGED about it. Also all the reasons listed above. YOU dont think about it OP because you arent dishonest ;) But there are MANY that ARE.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• mom, I guess that is it. I do not see how people can do it. However I still don't see how so many can be paid under the table and nobody know it! I heard about that buying FS a few months ago on the news. I thought it was like an isolated thing in Fl. WOW that is crazy. FS are for food lol. I guess some people really just don't have class or morals.
    delilahsmom1177

Comment by delilahsmom1177 (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• . I guess some people really just don't have class or morals.
    .....................................................................................
    I agree I think that is a fact!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• gammie, all the things people are saying on here it's like OMG I feel shame getting PA and I need it. How do they do it? I don't get it!!!!!
    delilahsmom1177

Comment by delilahsmom1177 (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2010