SCREAMING infant in car....What to do?

So EVERYTIME we get into the car(which is unfortunately at least twice a day for 25+ minutes each to drop off/pick up my older son from school) my 20 day old SCREAMS the entire time...

He doesnt take a pacifier(refuses it, lol)...Has a clean diaper and has been fed....I try music...no music...talking to him....singing....He has a mirror to see himself and a toy to see...nothing works..

Any Suggestions?

tiger_tatted1

Asked by tiger_tatted1 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i had the same problem with my 11m ds when he was born. oct baby likes it cold. it would be 37 degrees out and i would be wearing my jacket and he would be in a onsie and screaming for whatever reason. the second i put the window down... he'd go right to sleep. i would try the air conditioning but in my civic it just couldn't do the same and it made me absolutely frigid. i'd bring a blanket just in case but i never used it. people, especially at church, would get mad at me for not having a blanket on him. i also found that he would scream like that when he started getting squished in the carseat due to the cushions that came with it (we have a chicco key fit 30). once i took care of those things, he's been fine. ps... i would put the window up and down everyonce in a while just to make sure that that was indeed the problem and i wasn't freezing my baby.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Have you tried adjusting the mirror so he can see you?
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 3:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Is he hot? My little one always over heated. Is the sun in his eyes? Maybe the carseat is too hard. A lot of them are. You might try pulling up the cover and laying a few folded dishtowels on top of the foam to add a little extra padding.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Oh.. .also make sure his yead isn't flopping forward. He might need those little strap covers to keep them from digging into his neck
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• do NOT add anything to the carseat, aftermarket products are a safety danger and void your warranty and any liablity in an accident
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• He is very hot after screaming, lol. Hes covered in sweat..But I dont think hes hot in the begining..But ill try making is colder and see if it works...Carseat has great padding...Im super picky about that..Sun isnt in his eyes..I leave the sun visor thingy on his carseat down and put a small thin recieving blanket on one side just in case the sun comes through the window low enough...
    tiger_tatted1

Comment by tiger_tatted1 (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• And no his head doesnt go anywhere..
    tiger_tatted1

Comment by tiger_tatted1 (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I have a little mirror attached to my windshield that is angled in such a way that I can see my son and he can see me. Maybe your son just gets freaked out because he can't really see you.
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 3:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• How is the recline? Maybe you need to recline it more or less? That can help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I have the mirror....Ill try the incline and the window for air...Thanks!!!
    tiger_tatted1

Comment by tiger_tatted1 (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2010