cooking for the first time for future in laws!!

what should i make?!?! they never had my meals before but my boyfriend is in LOVE with my cooking i want to impress them and i dont want no simple foods such as spaghetti etc haha.

platinumdesigns

Asked by platinumdesigns at 3:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Make your husband's favorite meal!
    ProudTexan71

Answer by ProudTexan71 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Go with the first answer! Or else u could do a casserole from off of Cream Of Mushroom soup can!
    Rosiecheeks309

Answer by Rosiecheeks309 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Or you can tell them you want to do something extra special for them. Ask your future FIL what his favorite meal is. Or what they both like but rarely get to eat. And make that for them. Or ask future hubby what the absolute best thing you cook is, and make that.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 4:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• How about something like chicken parmesean?? I've got a really easy recipe if you'd like. Making your sweetie's favorite dish of yours is probably a pretty good bed if he thinks his parents will like it too.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Talk to your man and find out if they have any strong likes or dislikes, and any allergies, and then go from there. Simple yet impressive meal ideas are things like Saltimbocca (I can give you an awesome recipe if you want!), served with angel hair and green & yellow beans, and a salad...or a small rib roast, roasted with celery salt and black peppercorn rub, served with mashed yukon golds (unpeeled), and roasted carrots.
    Both of these meals are simple, yet look and taste wonderful.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• hmm i should ask him what they like n dont like... i never heard of saltimbocca!! where is that from?? im still looking for answers!! i dont wanna go too fancy or too easy but something in between!! with dessert too:D
    platinumdesigns

Answer by platinumdesigns at 5:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Saltimbocca is an Italian dish. Traditionally, it's made with veal, but since I don't eat veal, I always make it with chicken breasts. It's easy to make, doesn't take too much time, and like I said, it's impressive on a plate :)

Here's the recipe, just in case! http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/2008/09/favorite-recipe.html

If I made that, I would serve it with angel hair, tossed with sage butter (just heat butter in a small pan with some fresh sage leaves that you sliced) and fresh ground pepper. I'd also do a complimentary veggie, like the beans I mentioned. For dessert: Tiramisu!!! Easy and oh-so-impressive :) Look here:

http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/2008/08/we-interrupt-our-regularly-scheduled.html

jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Do a dish/dishes that you have made several times and are TOTALLY comfortable making. I would not recommend trying something that you have not made before or using ingredients that you have not used before.

Make something that you are comfortable cooking. If you want to try something different or unusual then experiment with it at least 3 times before the big debute.

Also, as the pp's said, ask your boyfriend for info on their likes and dislikes. Good Luck, dear! I am sure it will be a success!
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 1:14 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My "Gee, I don't know what you like but I hope you like this." go-to menu is grilled, marinated chicken sliced and served over fettucini alfredo with a caesar salad to go with it.

It's simple and nice and just about everyone likes it without being tooooooooo boring or too easy or worse - scary and intimidating for those who don't eat foods other than beef and potatoes.

That being said, do what Jespeach said and make sure they don't have food allergies or things your boyfriend KNOWS they hate.

Also, dooooooooooood! Saltimbocca's like when chicken (or veal) get together with proscuitto (or some other kind of ham) and do a little tango on your tongue with a little buttery-winey flourish. Seriously awesome nummies!

And her recipe looks really good, but she put the wrong location on her own Blog. :D
    http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/search/label/Italian
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• oh you ladies are making me hungry and am tempted to make a trial before actaully making it for them... im still not sure which id do but ima ask honey what sounds good! ill let you know what one i had picked out!!
    platinumdesigns

Answer by platinumdesigns at 10:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2008