SAHM's do you have a degree?

In one of my classes, the professor was talking about how a lot of SAHMs are forced to stay home because they do not have a degree and don't have a lot of options.

I found this offensive AND I disagree.

This does not go for everyone, but I think a lot of moms now stay home by choice. I do not have a degree, but am currently in the process of getting one... and even if I did, I would probably still stay home while my kids are little because that is my personal choice. And I know other SAHMs that are well educated, but chose to stay home.

*My no means is this knocking working moms.*

So if you're a SAHM do you have a degree?

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I have an MBA degree in forensic anthropology. It was my choice to be a SAHM and I actually gave up an amazing job. But being a SAHM is more important to me.
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 3:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• That doesn't go for everyone at all. A lot of SAHM's are at home because they choose to be. A lot of working mom's found they couldn't go back to work and leave their baby in the care of someone else. Others found they new they were going to stay home before the child was even born or even concieved. Others didn't have a choice, but that doesn't neccisarily mean because they didn't have a degree.

I had no choice to stay at home. I had job options and I have no degree, but we couldn't afford child care. A degree wouldn't have mattered either way, because with my lack of experience a degree means nothing. Ontop of that we still couldn't afford daycare.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:39 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i have an associates in marketing/business. But when I became disabled it was a field i could no longer be employed in. i dont feel in the current climate of this day and age that a degree sometimes means ANYTHING at all . i think women who choose to be SAHM were not forced at all, its a choice they made. raising children , raising the next generation is really the most important job ANYONE can do man or woman. But a working mom can stil succeed in that important task of raising children well AND work or have a career.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 3:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I am working on my degree while staying home. I am in my last two classes of my Associates Degree and then I begin my BS.

I also do not agree though. I had a great job even without a degree and my twins came along. I honestly choose to keep working, but at 6mo. one of them was hospitalized with an asthma attack. That was when I desided to stay home with them for awhile
    motherof4and2

Answer by motherof4and2 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I have a degree. I'm also a 12 year navy veteran. It's just easier to stay home because it provides stability since my husband is active duty and works crazy hours, is deployed, or we are constantly moving. I know my resume is turning to dust as I speak, but it's all good.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• The whole career verses motherhood dichotomy is the biggest failure of the feminist movement. Your professor needs to get updated on the post third wave and not spread misinformation and generalizations as fact. My undergrad minor is in feminist studies.

Modern feminism is failing because of this "us vs. them" mentality. No one wants to be a feminist any more because it seems to mean that you love arm pit hair, think motherhood is a prison, and vote for socialism. Well, that's not feminism. That's antiquated nonsense. You can be a feminist and choose to stay home, cook 4 meals a day, stay pregnant, blow your husband nightly, and never work outside your home. Feminism is about choices, not whining.

Tell your prof to shove it and stop making domestic diva feminist mommies like me feel marginalized.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i have a bs in biology and a minor in chemistry.
    i made more money as a waitress than as a chemist!
    I would have to make a lot of money to cover the cost of daycare alone ( i have 5 kids), and then i feel as though i would miss out on my children's lives if i were not there for them 24/ 7.

happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i have an associates degree and plan on going back to school when my youngest is 3 or 4 to get my masters
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'm a WAHM and yes, I have a degree.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Right now I'm a WAHM but will be a SAHM by choice in 5 weeks. I have a terminal master's degree.

Education was once a limiting factor for most women. At one time gender discrimination made economic freedom nearly impossible for most women. But in this day and age, women have a lot more choices.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2010