Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is she up to? Sneaky MIL wants a copy of DH's birth certificate... Need smart ladies' input!

Okay, so my DH and I have nothing to do with his mother. We have never had too much contact, but recently the ties have been completely cut. Bad, BAD situation. Anyway, she calls him randomly today & says she needs a copy of his birth certificate to fill out the beneficiary information for her life insurance policy @ work. I think she's full of crap... I mean, we didn't have to have birth certificates when doing this on my or my hubby's life insurance policies, and my mom said the same.

My question is, does this sound fishy to anyone else? Have you ever heard of having to have a birth certificate to fill out beneficiary information for life insurance? What could she be up to?!? I'm sure we'll find out soon enough, but I'm curious to know what the nut case is up to now. ((We def. are not giving her the copy. We'll send it directly to a ins. co. after talking to the company, but nothing is going to her.))

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Just for Fun

Answers (16)
  • I'm with you...she doesn't need a copy of his birth least not from you. The insurance company can contact you directly for that information, and you can deal directly with move. If she really wants one, she can request one from the county of birth's record office. Sorry that you're havin' to deal with wishes to y'all!

    Answer by ProudTexan71 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

  • I used to work in Human Resources and have worked with beneficiary information quite a bit. I have never seen the need to have the birth certificate. What is asked for is the social security number. You need the social security number for beneficiary information or to set up a bank account for the child (which sounds like she's not apt to do). I think that it is good to maintain some sense of caution with this situation and to ask questions. It is unfortunate that you have to do so, but it is good that you are.

    Answer by have2travel at 3:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

  • Maybe she's trying to get grandparents rights since you have nothing to do with her. She may need the birth certificate to have proof that your husband is the father & that he did sign it. Sounds like it to me.

    Answer by bassyentihw at 3:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

  • She needs a copy of her own son's birth certificate?

    Since she's the mother, she might be able get it from the county of his birth directly, with no assistance from you. All she'd likely need is the correct identifying information about herself and his father.

    Hopefully the county has safeguards in place, but you never know...

    Be aware of that, and keep an eye on your credit reports. Just in case.

    Answer by gdiamante at 3:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

  • We made my father the beneficiary of our insurance plans. But we didnt need his BC. She's up to something, just no clue what it could be.

    Answer by feesharose at 3:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

  • no BC needed but i think you do need SS number, and you DO need the BC to get a SS yes, it does sound quite phishy now...

    Answer by lovinallofthem at 4:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

  • I'd watch out. I don't have anything to do with my mom either, but that didn't stop her from taking me to court trying to get grandparents rights! She didn't get them but it could happen and once court ordered she could see your kids on a regular basis and you coldn't do one thing about it! Thats what came to my mind, sorry if it's off topic!

    Answer by ThreeUnder3 at 4:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

  • Definately don't let her have it, we don't want this to be the plot for a lifetime movie. It seems like a creepy situation.

    Answer by pnwmom at 4:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

  • She can get the BC on her own since she is the mother-I wouldn't give it to her either. It may have something to do with his dad though and trying to get back child support. With the economy the way it is, she may need money. Watch your credit report though, in case she is a seedy individual and may try to use his identity (or give it to someone else who might use it). Or grandparents rights as well. You could always try to get a free lawyers consultation if you're truely worried.

    Answer by MommaHubbard at 4:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

  • I have never seen a need for a BC but yes for a SSN. I would have to say it would be a good idea next time she asks to ask what company, research them, call them, then fax it directly to them if this is the case. If she is unwilling to give up the companies info she is up to something else (though I am not sure what) If you do end up doing it I would make her sign a contract saying this is the ONLY thing she can use the copy for. ALWAYS make a lot of documented proof of all transactions with this woman.

    Answer by LovinEveryDay at 4:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Just for Fun
Strippers Name

Next question overall (Relationships)