Its only bugs!!

this was my neighbor's respone to the similac recall. She uses similac and so I told her about the recall so she looked it up and said it didnt concern her because what kid hasn't aten a bug. so is anyone else worried or do you stand with my neighbor?

motherwanting6

Asked by motherwanting6 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't buy it, but then you also have to realize that peanut butter is allowed a certain number of rat turds in it.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 3:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My son is on that formula, and yes i was very worried..i'm sure there is more to it then just bugs!
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Eeww.

It is also larvae and in a baby that can't even digest and process food, bugs and larvae cause gastrointestinal upset.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would have freaked out..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• yes, but kids normally eat bugs when their digestive systems have matured enough to be able to handle it. Babies CANNOT digest stuff like that, which is why they're on formula instead of jar food! Thats why doctors recommend NOT giving your kids ANYTHING but formula until they are 6 months old.
    Go tell your neighbor that if she calls the manufacturer they will probably give her her money back. It sounds to me like losing her money is the only thing she's worried about. If she was worried about the kid, she wouldn't feed him/her bugs.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 3:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Kids eat bugs, but I don't think that infants should be at risk for that sort of thing. I am certain that both my two year old and my 8 year old have at some point eaten a bug. However, I would not use recalled formula. There is a difference between kids being kids and a known risk, to me anyway. I hope that makes sense.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i don't use similac because it always made my son spit up. we have been using enfamil. i think it's dangerous because it causes babies to be ill and refuse food. your neighbor is an idiot. i feel sorry for her children. i hope she isn't giving them this formula. also not every child has eaten a bug. babies don't eat bugs.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Not worried so much as disgusted. I would be LIVID if my child had eaten something like that.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• The sensible part of me wants to be like your neighbor. I agree most kids eat a bug or two in their toddlerhood.

But the rest of me feels like it is the ultimate betrayal to moms and their babies. All moms try to do what is best for their babies. Formula feeding moms already have enough guilt dumped on them, they expect quality food for their babies. And that is what they should have.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I use similac for my baby, was so worried about the recal, heard it from a friend last night. but she wasnt sure why there was a recall, so i checked it up this morning and found out it was because of a bug.. that was a relief, it could have been much worse, like chemicals and other dangerous stuff. I have immediatly stoped with the formula and am going now to buy onother brand formula for my baby. but thank god it was only a bug and not something worse.
    ashley387

Answer by ashley387 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2010