15 month old eating cardboard?

my 15 m/o dd eats cardboard!! Anytime I put a book in her playpen with her, or a book even near her, the next time I turn around she's eaten half the cover or page lol
Any ideas why she might do this?
She can't simply be hungry lol she could have just eaten and still does it..or is this considered "normal" ?

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 3:32 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't give her any books.
    She probably just like the way it feels in her mouth.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 3:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My daughter chewed on her board books too. She never ate the whole page or anything, she would just chew on the corners. It could be that there is something her system thinks its lacking, or it could be that she is teething and the chewing feels good, or it could just be an oral fixation, which is normal at this age. If you are really concerned, talk to her doctor. Perhaps consider a multivitamin if she is a picky eater.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• one of the major ways a young child explores thier world is thier sense of taste. it is one of the strongest senses a child has. she likely just curious and maybe to her it even tastes nummy or she is teething a bit and it feels good. i wouldnt worry too much about it. maybe get her some of those safe plastic bound type books for now
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 3:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• When my youngest was a baby she ate anything paper...books, magazines, video game boxes, newspapers, paper towels, cardboard food boxes, kids homework...anything paper she could get to. It was a constant battle to keep things away from her that she could tear up & eat. Once when I was changing her diaper I discovered she had pooped out the corners of a book she ate & you could still see the page numbers on them! None of my others where are bad as she was. Sure, they chewed on stuff but she was like a Paper Eating Little Monster! lol She's almost 4 now & I still have to remind her not to put things in her mouth that dont belong. Just today I found a hair barrette under the sofa cushion when I was cleaning. I handed it to her & was getting ready to tell her to put it away when she immediately put it in her mouth! AUGH!
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 3:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• yea my 19 month old does it all the time, lol but she is teething, she likes the texture i think
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 3:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• All my boys ate their books, my 16 month old LOVES to rip up paper and eat it
    bailey_rc

Answer by bailey_rc at 7:33 AM on Sep. 24, 2010