How soon after standing does walking happen?

My little girl is 7 months, crawls, and now pulls herself into a stand, and holds herself up on everything from the couch, her crib, the coffee table to me with no problem. If we hold her hands she walks a few paces with shrieks of joy.. does this mean full on walking is not to far off?

ZoeKatsMom

Asked by ZoeKatsMom at 3:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on your baby, whether or not she's ready to walk (just because she's able, doesn't mean she'll want to) and also how much encouragement you give. My son is 9 months old, and we try to spend at least a few minutes every day getting him to take a few steps between daddy and me. He's taken a few steps and we give him lots of hugs and praise, and he definitely seems encouraged. I think he'll be taking off running within a couple of weeks.
    Rachelou

Answer by Rachelou at 9:53 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My son started pulling up and standing around 8 months. He turned 1 last Thursday and took his first REAL steps early last week. He's taking anywhere from 4-10 steps today without falling.

Kids are all different. My SIL was walking at 9 months. I'd say you have at least 2 months, but she could be a goer before that! It all depends on her! Good luck! (you'll need it! LOL)
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• my son started standing around 8 months and took his first steps on his 11 month birthday.
    Nora1

Answer by Nora1 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Your baby will decide that, my baby boy started pulling up at 6 months and is just now taking steps he is 13 months. My older boy started stand at 9 months and walked at 14 months. All kids are different. I wouldn't rush it, kids grow so fast, and before you know it your daughter will be running and you'll be struggling to keep up with all the milestone wizzing by
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 3:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• There really is no way to tell. My son was doing all of that around 6.5 months and just took his first steps at 8 months.
    AmandaH7

Answer by AmandaH7 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2008