when is a good time to tell people you are expecting? When to tell a 5 and 2.5 year old?

I am not pregnant yet, but we are trying and I do want to tell my girls first so they don't hear it from someone else. I don't remember when I told my oldest when I was pregnant with her sister.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• after the first trimester
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• After the first trimester as a rule, BUT if you have significant morning sickness or other complications you might need to tell them sonner. I had to tell my daughter very early becasue the non-stop morning sickness made her think I was seriously ill. So, since I told her early every one else also found out early (I couldn't expect her to keep it a secret).
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:50 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Don't tell people right away. We told my son at 12 weeks, and then I lost the baby. Wait until it's obvious.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would wait until after the first trimester. If you're comfortable with it, you can tell them sooner or later. I think it depends on your daughters - it's your own choice!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 8:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• As a general rule of thumb, wait until after the first trimester to spread the word. As for telling the kids, I think it all depends on their understanding of such things and your morning sickness. If you have horrible morning sickness, you may try explaining it to the kids but it may also make them think that the baby is a bad thing because it's making you sick. When I got pregnant with my last baby I didn't tell my 3 year old and 1.5 year old until I started showing. They didn't really get it until they saw the ultrasound and when they could feel the baby moving. Now everytime my oldest sees an ultrasound, he thinks there's a baby in mommy's tummy and my youngest is 15 months :) lol!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 1:22 AM on Sep. 25, 2010