I suspect my daughter has a bladder infection. She's been having accidents at school for the past 2 days. This isn't like her! I already made an appointment. What should I do?

TaysMommy04

Asked by TaysMommy04 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like you have done everything you can.. Just give her cranberry juice until the appt.. that might help.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i agree with superr, cranberry juice would be a good idea to help ease the symptoms.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• my dd used to get like that and after many antibiotics and urine cultures we found out it's not from her having a uti or bladder infection, it was b/c my dh was giving her a bath and he feels weird about washing her down there and let her do it herself and she wasn't getting clean enough so i have taken over bath time and she hasn't had the problem since
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• oh that and i only bathe her in baby wash now
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would stick to water over cranberry juice. There are times when the cranberry juice can actually be irritating to a raw bladder. How long until she sees the doc? Do you have any of those walk in minute clinics? She won't really start feeling better until she gets on an abx. BTW.... does she have issues with constipation? Kids who struggle with consipation are more likely to have bladder/kidney infections because enlarged colon prevents the bladder from emptying completely and puts pressure on the inner structures.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• You may also want to make sure she is cleaning herself properly. If she has a little piece of toilet paper stuck where it shouldn't be it can cause irritation and cause her to pee often and unexpectedly. You may also want to take a look at soaps or bubble bath products she might be using and not getting completely rinsed.  Go ahead with the cranberry juice and plenty of water too, because if it is an infection those may help.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Does her urine have an unusually strong odor to it? Is she running a fever? Nausea? Hopefully you catch it while it's a UTI and does not become a bladder or kidney infection. Give Tylenol/Advil for discomfort- and have her drink the cranberry juice if she will. If not, keep the fluids (esp. water) going. Good luck (*PS- Remind her to wipe "front to back then drop it"- that's how I told my dau to do it)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Ok I don't want to be agrumentative, but the person that said cranberry juice is a bad idea and that there is no way she will start to feel better without antibotics is wrong. Cranberry juice is recommended by doctors to treat UTIs bladder infections etc and can be all that's needed to clear it up. However there isn't a lot more you can do until you get to the doctor and find out if she has one for sure or not. I was told to not use bubble bath anymore because it irritated my daughter and brought her close to an infection. Good luck.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 4:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I also should mention that she is hearing impaired (we go on 10/15/10 for her hearing aid fitting). So she cannot really tell me if it is burning when she pees or not. She's been potty trained for a couple years at least. She's dry at night and had an accident last night! It's very frustrating for us cause she cannot tell us. Oh and I should also mention that she doesn't wipe, but why now? She's been at school for the past 3 weeks with no accidents and it only happens once a day and that is before lunch. I don't know if she is too busy playing or what, but if it is a UTI or bladder infection than I cannot get too upset.
    TaysMommy04

Comment by TaysMommy04 (original poster) at 4:37 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Cranberry juice and just wait it out till the doctor
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2010