How do I explain to my kids that their dogs have to be adopted and they will never see them again?

Two weeks ago a neighbor lady claimed she got bit by one of our dogs while riding by on a bike. She called the cops and they came out and picked up 2 of the dogs (one is a golden retriever and the other a yellow lab- she couldn't tell the difference??) and took them to the pound. The lady never went to the hospital, and didn't even have any marks. Not only did we lose the dogs but we have to go to court. I feel so sick thinking about what will happen to the dogs (we've had them longer than the kids), but I don't know what to tell the kids without making them hysterical. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Pets

• ugh i went through that w/ my 4 year old we gave up our weimeraner and i swear i broke this little girls heart! she grew up with her, a year later she still holds her pic and cries i miss you best friend! i regret it so much.I told her we gave her back to her mama cause she was very sadbut you know children..its gonna be hard mama im not gonna lie ...good luck!
    taleyu1432

Answer by taleyu1432 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Relax....I dont think they can put your dogs down before you go to court. If the woman had no marks and the cops report says she has no marks either, then if she comes into court and lies to the judge with the cops report saying different. she will be the one in trouble. It would also help to bring a neighbor or 2 in with you to give testimony that your dogs are calm. Can your Vet provide a report on your dogs as well? Have you visited your dogs in the pound? They are not adoptable till you had your day in court. Get the pound worker to give a statement on how the dogs act as well....... burry the woman in paperwork and evidence in court and you should get them back.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Poor u. I am a dog lover . I would be soooo upset. But like the other comment said . I think u have to got to court first. They may give the dogs back unders certain stipulations and all. I wouldnt say anything till u know for sure.
    bubbaelea22

Answer by bubbaelea22 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• First it"s your word against hers, Have you had any problems with this lady in the past?Did the cops write down where she was bitten? If you want to fight this go to the police station get a copy of the report and to the pound, get a statement from caretakers on their behavior. Involve the kids if they are old enough. Go to court hold your head high present your side adding they have been around your children and others. If that is not an option and if they don't know what happened you could say The dogs(names) made your family very happy and they would make a really sad family happy again, It was the right thing to do sharing the love with others who need it I know its a white lie but if it helps ease the pain sugar coat it good luck to you. I've had to sugar coat many times grandma goes through dogs about 2 yearly just when the kids fall deeply in love she takes it to the pound (sad ) I feel for you !!!!mom in okla.
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 12:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Ugggh! Call the pound and check on their policies, hire an attorney and try everything to get the "family members " back. My heart is breaking just thinking about you having to tell them this news. Try everything else first.
    If they don't see the dogs, they are going to know something is up. Be honest and tell them the truth. Tell them that you are doing everything that you can to bring them home. Do not confront the neighbor...she will use it against you in court. good luck..i feel for ya.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:51 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• If there aren't any marks, then how do they plan on prooving anything? Hang in there. They might decide at court that they can't press charges and give the dogs back. And ummm, another thing...why would they put down BOTH dogs? That's silly. I have high hopes your doggies will come back home soon!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• grrr...that makes me so frustrated. Hopefully if there were no marks or drs report then hopefully the worst they could do is fine you for leash law violations as long as there were no past incidents with you dogs. I hope you will get your dogs back and understand your pain, if you want to talk send me a pm. Good Luck to you
    Anubis8733

Answer by Anubis8733 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• If they took the dogs, they didn't have their vaccinations, otherwise they would not need to be quarantined - If they took both dogs, then that means that they were probably unlicensed too. If they were able to go after someone on a bike, then they weren't confined to your property. If the pound doesn't give them back, they are being destroyed - not adopted. It's too hard a time to place dogs without a biting history to give up kennel spots for two that may have bitten.

Instead of complaining that the lady couldn't tell which dog it was, didn't go to the doctor, etc., take a good hard look at in the mirror at the person who is really responsible, and then tell the kids that the dogs are gone because you were an irresponsible pet owner who let your dogs roam.
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I have to say that I totally agree with lawmom. With pet ownership comes legal responsibility such as licensing, roaming laws, liability, etc. Those laws apply even on your own property. Hopefully this will be a lesson learned for you and the children in pet ownership and this won't happen again.
    Anonymous

• Why do they have to be adopted out? You need a professional to help you figure out what triggered your dog's behavior. Why were your dogs loose? You need to have control of them at all times, no matter how well behaved you believe them to be. Humans have to come first. Not worth risking your home due to lack of good ownership.
    pdxmilf

Answer by pdxmilf at 1:14 AM on Jul. 4, 2008