How do I break it to her?

I am currently dating someone and he is awesome. He helps me out with me and my son when I was having a hard time. A few months ago I left his dad since he was abusive. My sister took the abusive relationship really hard when I told her what he did. Tonight, she invited me to dinner and my boyfriend wanted to come with me. My sister is very uptight. It's like walking on eggshells with her. I want to tell her I'm seeing someone but I just have a feeling she isn't ready to know about it yet. What makes me feel bad is that he has introduced me to his family but I fear my family won't take it so well because me leaving an abusive relationship is still fairly fresh with them. What should I do? Should I just wait?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• You are a grown woman, do what YOU want to do and don't worry about what your family thinks. Be strong, you can do it!
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 4:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• YOU were the one in the abusive relationship so I don't see why she is so sensitive about it. If you've gotten passed it she should be able to and she should be happy that you found a nice man.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• who cares what they think they shold be happy for you that you got out of the bad realationship and met someone new and if they cant accept that oh freaking well
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 4:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Keeping him a secret may backfire b/c then they'll think you have something to hide or are ashamed of him in some way. Tell him about your concerns, and the 2 of you can decide on the right time/place to meet your side of the family. I hope you picked a winner this time!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• if your fear for your family then why date it time to take a stand bring him along tell him before he meets them that they can be mean
    if he is great guy he will be able to handle himself and they might even like him
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 4:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Your sister should be beyond happy and accepting of anyone who treats you well.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It is natural for your family to feel protective of you right now. They would be suspicious of anyone right now, no matter how wonderful he is. I don't think that means you have to hide your relationship from them. What might work better is if you let them know what is going on, let them know you are taking it slow and being careful, and ask them to be happy for you. Ask them if they can meet your knew guy without feeling awkward or uncomfortable, and if they say they can then introduce him. If they aren't quite ready respect that and ask them to let you know when they are ready.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:16 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I don't think you should just show up with the guy and expect everyone to be nice. You should talk to your sister about him first and get her used to the idea. IF he is a nice guy, he'll understand and wait for the right time for you and your family. Your sister obviously cares about you and your son alot and is just concerned, so I don't think she is totally wrong in being over protective. GL
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 4:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Let your family know. Explain to the new guy how they are a little defensive now considering your past relationship. Tell your family that he is good to you and to your son and that you would really appreciate it if they gave him a chance. That is what I would do. A good guy will be ok to either wait to meet them, or be able to handle an awkward evening because they aren't really sure. If he is really wants to be there, he will stay, Just be honest with everyone about everyone.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Be open & honest, she'll come around eventually
    Abytome

Answer by Abytome at 5:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2010