Subconscious mind or really Divine forces (God/Jesus)?

Since I've been in counseling for 3 years I've started to realize that I'm missing something in my life in the sense of a religious base. As I've continued to learn about myself and the subconscious pieces of the mind and how it operates in general, I've started to question somethings for myself. I've never understood when people say Give your problems to Jesus or Jesus is always there, I don't understand the concept at all, how it works, why it would work, or how you release your worry and problems thinking a higher power is fixing it. I've never been able to be in touch with "Jesus", so I've started to wonder if what it really is, is that those who can do this are really more intune subconsciously to a higher sense of being, having the ability to center and legitimately work through the issues without really knowing its there personal power rather then something external they believe in...I'm curious what others think

blessedwboysx3

Asked by blessedwboysx3 at 4:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hmmm, this is a really interesting question. My belief is that God dwells within us and that there is no distinction between our spirits and God. So, essentially, meditating is a deeper connection with that divine nature, which for me means that my subconscious is divine force.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Prior to Christ's death only certain Jewish priests were allowed entrance into the Holy of Hollies in order to communicate with God. After Christ's death, the curtain separating the Holy of Hollies with the rest of the temple was torn down symbolizing that open communication could be made with God. But the communication is still only for God's children - meaning those who have believed in Christ as Lord and Savior. Christians have an open line of communication with God, and when we say that we have "given" something to God, it means that we have spoken to Him directly, telling Him of our inability to handle a situation and verbalizing that we are going to let God handle it. A Christian will tell you that when this happens, a weights seems lifted off their shoulder as if the burden is no longer there's. If you don't have a relationship with God (through faith in Christ) then this would likely be a foreign thing to you ....
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 7:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• That is an interesting question and thought but it wouldn't work for my prayers. Most of the time I will pray something once and completely forget about it and not think about it again. Then, later when it happens (weeks, months, years later) it will sometimes take a couple days for me to even realize, "Hey, didn't I pray about this?" Where as if it were something I was focused on trying to fix I would almost constantly be thinking about the issue. For me, many of the issues I have seen change after I pray are nothing that I could possibly fix.

Giving your problems to God requires giving up control over the issue, like taking your child who only knows you as their care giver and having someone babysit them for the first time or bringing them to their first day of school. You have to let go of a little bit of control.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 4:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• ... but for those of us who have experienced, it is VERY real. To simply say that we are tucking it back in our subconscious somewhere implies two things 1) that we are trying to escape from said situation, and/or 2) we are keeping the burden for ourselves. Neither is true when giving something to God. We are not trying to escape, but rather we are accepting the trial and asking God to carry us through and take the burden for us. God LOVES to help His children, and gladly obliges us when we ask Him.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 8:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I have noticed that since I have started to attend church more regularly, prayer more rgularly, read my scriptures, and be more christ like as much as possible that there have been changes in my life. Bills are working out, therapies are getting started for my son, doctors are actually doing what they need to for my son, his tests are going accordingly, and my husband has been able to work more to provide better for our family. Maybe it's just chance, but i can't deny that this all started at the same time that we started becoming more active in church and doing what we need to be doing.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 4:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Many people apply these types of definitions when they don't get the supernatural nature of God. This view you have removes God from the picture altogether. It's not the same thing at all IMO. It seems you are reasoning that the "power" (God) that we call upon, seek and lean on comes from the self...but we recognize that they do not come from ourselves but from God alone. This may not seem like a big difference to you but when you are seeking a relationship with the real, true God it is a big difference. Seeking self help and realizing that your help comes from the Lord are entirely different things. Here is some good info. This site has a lot of good information. I understand those feelings of something missing and I pray you reach your destination and are made whole.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 4:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It all comes from within- only those who have been conditioned to think the human mind can not do it alone contribute it to a higher power.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 5:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It all boils down to faith... simple faith... I just had to do this recently and I had people pray for me and I spoke forth releasing some people who hurt me into the Father God's hands and in return He gave me His heart. See I was hold on to something that wasnt mine, it was hindering me from progressing in healing, going forward and even seeing ahead of me. Once I did the wall fell and now things are happening that I thought never would. I made a choice to step out in faith, to trust in God to take it all and now I can do what He desires for me to do which are also the desires of my heart. It just takes trust and simple faith to believe .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2010