How much should I feed my 4 month old?

My ds is 4 and a half months old. We have just started him on cereal. The ped told us 1 Tbs but he seems to want more than that. Can I give it to him? Also, should the food replace his first and last bottle of the day? I usually bf him to sleep but he is starting to only sleep when fed and is waking up More now than he used to to eat. What did you feed your child when he was this age? By the way, my son is 16 lbs and in the 95% for length.

mscottsmom

Asked by mscottsmom at 3:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would feed him more if he wants it. He sounds like he is a bigger baby, not overwieght necessarily just bigger and may need more food. I had started my son on 2nd foods by four months and he would eat the whole jar, sometimes more.
    AmandaH7

Answer by AmandaH7 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• A BF baby shoudn't start solids until 6 months and its not needed until 12 months, heres some info on it, doctors are behind when it comes to BF babies
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp
    http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/infantfeeding_recommendation/en/index.html
    http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/feb05breastfeeding.htm
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
    If you are determined to feed solids before 6 months remember a few things, BM is more important than ANY other food or liquid before 12 months, NEVER replace a nursing with solids, BF BEFORE every offer of solids and GO slow when introducing them. FF babies are different because formula doesn't adapt to a child needs and more ounces and solids MUST be added to their diet, BM changes with a child changing needs so solids aren't necessary and aren't recommended to even start before 6 months. Ask this in a BFing group too.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Oh and 4 months is a growth spurt, if you replace nursings with solids your supply won't keep up. Give it aweek or 2 and things will go back to normal in the nursing amounts if you nurse on demand. Nurse nurse nurse, this is when tons of moms think they have to give solids or they don't have enough milk because of a growth spurt, nurse nurse nurse
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My son is 4 months as well and he weighs alittle over 17lbs. He nurses all the time and every other day we give him a solid... he eats the whole container. The only advice I have is do what works for you and what you feel is right. My DS started on cereal somewhere around 2 months and solids about 3 months. Still on 1st foods and no supply issues here. Good luck momma.
    Shonejrsmommy

Answer by Shonejrsmommy at 5:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I fed my other kids when they were babies the cereal in the morning with some formula or juice. Then I fed bottles inbetween solids during the day. At bedtime I gave a botle unless they seemed hungrier, so I gave a little cereal too.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• my daughter is 4 months also, she weights 15lbs. she gets ceral in every bottle. She now sleeps through the night until her daddy goes to work at 7;30. she loves her ceral. she's now wanting more then ceral so we've started her on first staage babyfood.
    mahaleesmom

Answer by mahaleesmom at 10:10 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• These are great answers ladies. Thank you. Also, tabi_cat, I am already having supply issues because I can only pump and not actually bf my son. I have over active let down and he has acid reflux. I spoke with my dr about this and she said that I simply can't bf. I still do every now and again when my supply is really diminishing, but he throws up over half of it. When I bottle feed, we have no problems except the little amount of spit up that should be expected from a baby. I appreciate your answer, but my dr said that he is big enough and drinks enough milk during the day to qualify for an early start on the cereal. He drinks about 30 ozs of bm per day. 6- 5 oz bottles. He's a little eater!
    mscottsmom

Answer by mscottsmom at 12:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2008