question for substitute teachers!

When my son is in school, I was thinking about signing up to be a sub. I have a 4 year degree and love kids, and I love to teach others. I will admit though, I do get a bit of stage fright and am not the best with remembering names lol. I was just wondering if you would share your experience on your very first day! Were you super nervous? Were the kids mean? If I sign up will it be for whatever they need me for or limited to a certain school/grade range?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 4:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• I had fun. No issues. I subbed pre-K through 12, plus choir, band and pe.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Subbing is great b/c it gives you the flexability in your sched. & the hours are good. Its normal to be a little nervous on your 1st day, but once you get the hang of it, it's a great job. You will have a few kids who like to test your patience, but as long as you dont let them walk all over you, you'll be fine. Whatver you wouldnt put up w/ from your own children, dont take from somebody else's!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'm going to throw this out there. I substitute taught for 3 years while I was in college, and since then I have been a full time high school teacher. Depending on the district you live/work, I will warn you, that in my opinion, substitute teaching is quite possibly the WORST JOB IN THE WORLD.

Again, this highly depends on the schools, district, principals, students, etc.

As an actual teacher though, who has had several subs, I can tell you, students are at their WORST for substitutes. It is not worth the disrespect and general hell they give you all day. You'd probably be happier taking on some day shifts at Starbucks - you'd likely get paid about the same and Starbucks has some benefits.
    clairewait

Answer by clairewait at 2:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2010