Ways to save money?

Just got a house so what is your best tips on saving money at home?

Patience909

Asked by Patience909 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Get clothes racks and hang your clothes on them instead of using the dryer or outside if you can, not using the dishwwaher, planting a garden next year and freezing or canning the vegetables, get a programable thermostat and when you're not home set it so it doesn't run. See if you are loosing energy out your windows and doors and out up weather stripping, plastic on windows until you can replace windows. Use towels rolled up near the door for drafts, close curtains when the sun is at it highest to keep the heat out. Install ceiling fans use the energy saving light bulbs, unplug everything that you don't need running, turn off lights when not in the room, eat at home more batch cook and freeze, watch for sales and stock up that goes for everything including yard stuff, make your own cleaning products, baking soda and vinegar are cheap. Congratulations and have fun!
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:01 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Energy saving light bulbs, eating in which is more work for you though, thermal windows that keep heating bills undercontrol from what I've learned, thermostat control during the winter, maintaining your own landscaping and not having others cut your lawn and prune your hedges, keeping your water bill under conrol with water saving toilets that use less water than the usual ones. These are really just suggestions though.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• learn couponing, use a site like weusecoupons.com that is very newbie friendly and you can learn couponing as advanced as you wish to take it.
    repurpose things. children dont need EXPENSIVE toys all the time, sometimes is nice sure. but creativity with empty jugs, toilet paper rolls etc. can go a LONG way.
    have a budget and stick to it, always pay yourself first . meaning that even if only $5 goes in to savings each paycheck do it. having that cushion is a godsend in emergencies.
    again using a site like weusecoupons.com you can learn a TON of frugal shopping, living, repurposing, cleaning etc ideas for every aspect of your life.
    start a simple garden each spring. if you are a complete newbie dont try to grow too much as once. take baby steps to learn your way and not be overwhelmed
    those are a few idease
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 4:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Couponing, install double paned windows and make sure your doors are sealed well, keep your heat just a little bit lower in the winter (you can easily wear more clothes) and your airconditioning a little bit warmer in the summer. Make your own cleaning products (I swear, it's easy and it cost a LOT less and does a better job), shop thrift/consignment stores for household items because you can often find nice stuff for a lot less.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My husband and I had to take drastic measures in this. My best advice is to leave the debit/credit card at home and only use cash for a while. Not only should you use cash but make sure you only bring enough for what you're buying. For example: If I know I need toilet paper and pamper's, I take the amount needed and, not a penny more, that way I can't be tempted to buy something that I don't need b/c I know I don't have enough money for it. We also cut out all fast food and only go out to eat 1 time a month.....you'd be surprised at how much money you'll save a month. Good Luck! :)
    beenblessedby5

Answer by beenblessedby5 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I agree with eating in but it doesn't have to be more work. I cook about four meals worth at once and freeze the rest that way I have say three precooked ready to heat up frozen lasagnas ready to go on nights I'm tempted to order pizza. Tons of foods freeze well so you can buy food when its on sale and use a coupon then freeze it for when you're ready to use it. Pick one Netflix or Cable but don't waste money on both. Chances are one will end up going mostly unused anyway. Better yet our library has free new release movies and cds so I just get them there now. If you own the house make sure to insulate it really well. It might even be worth paying someone to come out and professionally do it it could save you hundreds a year or more.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 5:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• thank you
    Patience909

Comment by Patience909 (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• These tips are all very good thanks
    Patience909

Comment by Patience909 (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2010