Terrible twos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i really mean terrible

can anyone help me??? my son is so in his terrible twos from the time he wakes up in the morning until we can finally get him into bed he is either screaming just to scream .. taking a fit.. hitting his little brother or just throwing himself on the floor!! i do punish him. i put him into time out i take away his favorite things and sometimes i smack his hand because he likes to hit. i dont know what else to do. its like he is miserable within himself and he cant be satisfied??? i really dont know anymore. i have had people tell me oh he needs medicated!! i will absolutely not medicate my child but does anyone else have any ideas on what else i can do??

xsbnix

Asked by xsbnix at 4:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is he cutting his 2 year molars. If his gums are swollen try some motrin and an ice cube in a wash cloth tied off and see if he becomes a new child in about 30 mins. If not teething I send my 2 yo to her room to sit and scream and she can come out when she calms down. We have been using the going to her room since she started her tantrums almost a year ago. It works very well. I make her wait til she calms down b/c 1 or 2 mins isn't long enough to get the point across. Take a deep breath b/c this too shall pass.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• How old exactly is your son? What do you do for time out? Do you have a stool? Is he in a crib still? How old is your other child? We could probably help you more if I knew those things :)
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 4:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• here's what we do.....we put our dd (27 months) in her room and lock the baby lock so she can't get out. we tell her once she's calmed down that she can come out. we also do this when she doesn't listen to us...nothing worked for us, and i finally got fed up with my dd's attitude one day and stuck her in her room.it was constant fits, and "no", "mine", throwing herself on the floor, throwing fits at home and in public...we're still working through it, but it's changed ALOT, even in the past 3 weeks that we've been doing this...yes, 3 weeks...one of my dh's agents that work for him gave him this advice (and i would NEVER try it on my dd, i think it's too cruel...but everyone says she has the most well behaved kids), when your little one starts acting up, in public or at home, grab a little piece of the back of their arm and pinch it enough to get the point across that you're in charge. again i would NEVER do this to my child..
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 4:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• but, it's just some advice we got as well.
    mom_to_kenzie

• We do the same thing Momtokenzie does (even though my sons older). We don't open the door until he says "I'll be a good boy now" Thats when we know hes cooled off. It does help. It ends the aggravation for you too.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 5:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• wow yes i would never do that to my kid!!! and ive been doing that so i think ill keep putting him into his room and hopefully it starts to work a little better thankss!! and usbornebooksdh he is two and will be three in march and for time out he usually goes to his room for a certain amount of time or he gets put in a timeout chair. yes we have another son who is almost one and my two year old has been in a toddler bed a little bit after he turned 1 and coala that didnt even cross my mind to check that i will have to do so and if it works ill be sure to update! thanks again
    xsbnix

Comment by xsbnix (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Donot medicate him.That is a big no no. If you want your child to grow up normal stay away from the meds.
    ayneka

Answer by ayneka at 7:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2010