Homemade costumes

Im having a real hard time figuring out what to get my two sons for halloween?? one wants to be one thing and the other is to young to deicide and i have gone out and priced some costumes and they are just expensive this year! Anyone know of any good home made costumes???

xsbnix

Asked by xsbnix at 4:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Holidays

• I like the one where you pin on tan yarn to a red jogging suit and pin on brown pompoms to make spaghetti and meatballs.

You can spray paint a box and put black dots on it to make it look like dice..they can be a pair of dice.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Scarecrows are easy, use beat up clothes and stuff with some straw.

Pumpkin. They make orange garbage bags that you can stuff with newspaper.

These are a few of the cheaper costumes that we did when I was younger.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Toilet paper mummy?

There's some really cute ideas on instructables.com
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 6:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Just a warning.... When making a scarecrow, be careful of straw and other flammable items in that costume or any.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 8:05 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• How old are your sons? A robot is a fun one to make if they are old enough. Using a big box and attaching many switches and toggles from the garage to the outside. Of course you spray paint the box silver, and use your imagination. We even put one of those big square batteries inside and had little xmas lights that lit on it. You can go as simple or as elaborate as you like.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 8:10 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• lol, I've been looking to do the same thing. I'm not sure what to dress my daughter up as. She likes the costume she got while we were down in Gettysburg (civil war northern lady dress, she's 2 1/2, my dd), and well, I'd really only want to do that if my nephew had a civil war soldier costume to go with it, (he's the same age and going with us), because otherwise it comes off looking like an amish outfit. And since there are Amish that live around here, I feel it's sort of bad taste unless they went themed to pull off the right look.

anyways, I was thinking of getting some black pants with pink boots, and a long sleeved black turtle neck. and some white gloves. I'll get a little minnie mouse dress and some ears and she can go like that. It's a warmer type outfit since we live in NY and it tends to be chilly around halloween.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• but you could do mickey mouse just as easily, with maybe donald goofy or pluto for your other son.
    or:
    Clown: Sweet clothes that are too large. Decorate by using either fabric paint, or markers. For those who dare try tie-die. Tack on some large pop-poms, add a cheap wig, hat, and make-up. You may also stuff the extra space in clothing with tissue. However this could be messy, if you need to make a "pit-stop".
    Old man: Dark paints (cuffed), and jacket, most any dress shirt, mans flannel hat, walking cane. Gray the hair, with any of the commercial temporary colors, or dust with a little flour.
    Pirate
    Form a fake aooden leg by wrapping your bad one in brown felt. Wear sailor pants or jeans with a striped top. Tie a bandana around your head, wear an eye patch, carry an empty bottle marked XXX (for the "rum") and mutter "aargh" a lot. Ask for "Trick or treat, matey!"
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Train Engineer
    A pair of blue jeans, a blue Jean jacket, a red and black bandana. a blue and white engineer hat, a whistle, and play lantern
    http://www.robinsfyi.com/holidays/halloween/costumes.htm

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2010