How do I get my two year old to eat??

He is such a picky eater! he will go the whole day without eating because he doesnt want to eat anything that we have!!! all he wants to eat is mcdonalds and i even tried you eat what we have or nothing and he chooses nothing!! i know he cant go very long and eventually may eat something but he is very stubborn like his dad and fight you til the end!! any suggestions??

xsbnix

Asked by xsbnix at 4:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stick to your guns. If he won't eat he won't eat. He won't starve himself. Don't give in or you are going to create a huge problem. We started you eat what you get when my LO was 15 mos old. In a year she has gone to bed w/o dinner about 5 times. She will eat a massive breakfast of whatever you give her, but you have to hold off on the milk or mine will fill up on that before she eats. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Where is he on the growth curve? Is he considered failure to thrive? If he's not... then I would go toe to toe with him. Give him food at mealtime. Allow him a set time to eat. Say... 20-30 mintues. When the time is up, take his food away. Offer no snacks until his next meal time. Then do it again. He WILL eat if he's hungry enough, but the most imporant thing if he is that stubborn is not to argue with him. Just be matter of fact about it, calm, and even toned about it. Don't baby him, don't plead with him. You are the boss and you do not have to explain/beg to your 2 yr old. Just say this is how it is, then ignore his fit. I give it a week and you will have him broke of this habit. If he starts it up again, go right back to this techique. If he is failure to thrive/falling off the growth chart, then that sort of changes things. I have one of those kiddos too and suggestion that go with that if you need them
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2010