Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fluoride varnish for my 1 year old's teeth - Yes or no


Asked by hootie826 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 30 (42,920 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • Google it. The studies on it seem to all be positive. In fact some experts seem to favorite it over flourinated water since it is not ingested.

    Answer by karamille at 5:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • No. They don't need extra flouride. It really isn't good for you and it isn't safe for ingestion.

    Answer by coala at 5:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • Are you talking aobut something provided by your dentist? If so, it can be a really great tool if you child has soft enamel. If its something you are getting on your own, then no.

    Answer by karamille at 5:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • and for the record, our ped dentist just told us at our last visit that now he DOES with our 20 month old to use a small amount of toothpaste and swallowing it is just fine because a certain amount of flouride injestion is beneficial for kids like mine who do not have flourinated city water.

    Answer by karamille at 5:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • My Drs office has been pushing this at me since my son got his first tooth! I don't see the benefit but was wondering what others thought.

    Comment by hootie826 (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • I'd pass on that

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • Never heard of it. What is it?

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • They just dab it on and it cant be swallowed. Ingestion is the main concern with flouride but if they cant swallow it it cant hurt. The dentist dabbed it on my sons teeth at his 12 month visit.

    Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:32 AM on Sep. 24, 2010