Dog problems (Long)

About 2 weeks ago we adopted a puppy from the humane society. When we went a picked him out, he was hyper, but he calmed down a bit after we played with him a while so we thought that he would make a good dog after we got him home. So we got him, but he didn't clam down. We can't enjoy him because he won't clam down, I can't take him on walks because I have to push the stroller and he pulls so hard on his leash that I hold it and push the stroller. He can't be around my dd, because he jumps up on her and knocks her over. He chews on everything he can get ahold of. I don't know what to do, we've had dogs before and none of them were bothersome, but we got them when they were younger so they didn't have time to develop there bad habbits, he's 5 months old now. I have been clicker training him and he is smart, he has already learned his name, come, sit, stay,and down, but I can't break his bad habbits, I need help

Liz132

Asked by Liz132 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Pets

• He's 5 months old, he's basically in his "terrible twos" right now. And if he hasn't been trained at all up to this point, it's just going to take patience and time. I don't know what kind of dog it is, since some breeds are just naturally more hyper than others, but maybe taking him out for longer stretches of time, letting him burn off some of that energy would work... Good luck.

I'd also try to sign him up for a puppy training class...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Thats a puppy. He will grow out of it with your patience and continued training. Good Luck!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Sounds like he needs some crate training. Any time you need him to be calm you put in a quiet room in his kennel. As for the walks, we got our dog at about the same age and stage as you did. He was BEYOND hyper, but I found a way to take him on a walk. I would attach the leash to the stroller front (we had a harness for him for this purpose). He would have to work a little harder because I would walk the hills. It helped to calm him down at night, give him exercise, give me exercise/fresh air/ and time out of the house, and train him to walk at MY pace, not his. Just an idea. As for the chewing, it's just the stage he's in. You need to get him a Kong to chew on. You can put treats or peanut butter in it, and it's something he can't destroy.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 5:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• You do need help to think that a baby that is only 5 months old will be perfectly behaved and trained in the two weeks you got him.
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 8:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• He's still a baby. He just needs training. You won't see Huge improvements in just 2 weeks. If he pulls, try a gentle leader head harness. Watch the dvd to learn exactly how it is suppose to be put on and works. Also, maybe sign him up for some puppy training lessons.

How many walks are you taking him on? Puppies have TONS of energy, and need ways to use it up, or they will become bored, and when they are bored they are destructive. Get some "thinking" toys... toys that he has to work at to get a treat (kongs are good ones.. there are also puzzle box toys that work great).

HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 10:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Just keep training him! It will take some time, but he can be trained to mind and listen. Some training classes for him might help pretty well, too. We signed up for one when we got our puppy and he minds pretty well. Not all the time, but a lot of the time. He is a 7 month old boxer and FULL of energy. Just keep plenty of toys on him, DON'T let him jump up on anyone, and just stick with the training. Don't give up on the dog just yet. He just needs time. Good luck!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 25, 2010