know it all nana

I am VERY blessed to have my mother around to help my son especially when i am not physically able to do it (temporary medical situation) but she is driving me NUTS!!! she is WAY too easy on the kid and he walks all over her... the result is that his diet is getting worse and his school work is sloppy and his attitude is crap. the only way this six year old snaps back into his 'normal' self is if i break doctors orders and take care of it myself. i have a hard time correcting her because she is my mom and i dont like telling her what to do but i am starting to feel that her involvement with my kid is not so good for him in this LARGE dose. she gets in the way of punishment, she glares at me when i correct him or he gets in trouble for trying to pull one over on his nana or step dad. she even CORRECTS ME in my correcting HIM infront of HIM!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Just be glad you have a mother that is willing to help you in your time of need.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Sounds like you need to have a heart to heart with your mom. Grandparents are there to spoil the grandkids.......not take over everyday parenting, if they do that then they become the parent and not the grandparent. It sounds like your mom is trying not to fall into the "parent" role. While that's great it also means that her grandson is going to be spoiled from grandma. You're just going to have to lay down the law in front of Grandma.......maybe make a chart with punishments for certain acts that way she knows what to do and you will still look like the "bad guy" and she can still be "Grandma".
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 6:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Absolutely sit nana down and let her know how it is. Whether she agrees w/ your parenting or not is irrelavent. Correcting you in front of him is just wrong. You're the mom and as long as you arent neglecting or abusing him she needs to let you be the mom.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 7:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Tell her what is what. I'm sure she cares about his school work and his nutrition. Tell her that the rules are xyz and show her that his school work is not right. School work is a big motivator.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2010