Are Texan youth being fed a sugar-coated version of Islam while Christianity is unfairly taken to task for its sins?

Texas school board debates 'pro-Islamic' bias in textbooks
Members weigh demanding changes in way books portray Muslims, Christians. Texas considers banning 'pro-Islam' textbooks. Full article link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39311882/ns/education_nation/

It appeared that Texas had finished battling over textbooks — with social conservatives winning a clear victory in May — but the Texas State Board of Education is taking up another explosive curriculum question: Are Texan youth being fed a sugar-coated version of Islam while Christianity is unfairly taken to task for its sins?
At a three-day meeting that started Wednesday, the board is scheduled to consider a resolution that would require it to reject textbooks that it determines are tainted with teaching “pro-Islamic, anti-Christian half-truths and selective disinformation,” a bias that it argues is reflected in current schoolbooks

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• jsbenkert

You are correct.. This issue, and these debates that are happening in Texas will affect many many (if not the majority) of public school students in this country. Texas is one of the states (Cali is the other) that buys the most (or bulk of) textbooks for public schools. Therefore the publishers of these textbooks rely heavily (and give into ) on the request/input of the Texas schoolboard in regards to what issues/materials that is presented in textbooks. And how that material is presented.

So say a person in Nevada doesn't agree with these changes that have been made and the one's being requested. It won't matter, their child will still be learning from/being taught from the textbook that was edited by the Texas State Schoolboard.

All parents with children in public school, should be paying attention to what's happening in Texas.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• There was a program on tv not to long ago about what kids learn in school. One of the things they covered was textbooks. They actually opened up some books so the viewer could see the questionable material and the context it was in. It wasn't just about "faith" though. There was a lot of clever use of words like "is, may, might, was). Christianity and Judaism both had words like "supposed" and "believed to be" where Islam had words like "is" and "was." There was clear bias.

I just love my home state!! I am so happy to see some truth finally put back "on the books."
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Even after reading the article I am confused. Are they history textbooks or what?
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I read about this earlier today.. This is the 2nd time in recent months that this type of discussion has been happening in Texas in regards to textbooks.

Me personally.

I don't agree with what they are saying or trying to do. What I see is other religions (including Islam) now being discussed in textbooks, the history of other religions, contributions of other religions in history..etc.. Not Christianity being negated and Islam taking priority focus..

It seems to me that this is an issue of: Only one should be focused on , shown in a "good light" or their contributions to the world/history shared and explored..and that one.. Christianity. Which would be Christianity being focused on and shown in a good light while negating others. Which is the way textbook have been (for many PS students in this country) in the past.

Exposure to/education of other religions and their historical contributions= Good thing.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Interesting, I had no clue this was going on in my own state.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yiiiiikes, is all I have to say. D:
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 6:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Well here is the thing. They can change the books and put their crap in it. Never mind most of what they want to put in it is inaccurate or biased. I will choose to not use textbooks that knowingly come from Texas publishers.  As a teacher, I will choose to use other materials.  I present the truth and I will not sugar coat it.  The U.S has done many things that are embarrassing.  I want my students to see positives and negatives things we have done...so we will not repeat the negative things.  Islam is not bad as a whole.  There are extremists, heck there are extremist in Christianity. 

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• The problem with Texas is that they have a single state-wide board that buys the books for every school in the state. Textbook companies cater to them in an effort to win their business because that's such a huge order. Which means, if the backwards hicks on the Texas School Board decide that something is or isn't true, every textbook in the country will say that. Whether or not that's accurate or not is irrelevant. All that counts is that the largest textbook purchaser in the country wants something and every book in the country will change to say that if it means there's better chance Texas will buy it over a competitor's book.

If the TSB decides that all students should be told creationism is valid science and Islam is a terrorist sect, textbooks will say creationism is science and Islam = terrorist. If the TSB decides rainbows really lead to leprechauns, science books will add them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:51 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I love this comment that was left by "Falstaffsmind" on the msnbc.msn.com website:

For too long our kids have been immersed in the Arabic number system. These digits clearly show an Islamic bias, especially in my bank account. And while we are at it. The new moon phases will be: Full, Gibbous, Quarter, Satanic and New.

The Texas School Board is little more than a socially acceptable hate group engaged in Political Activism.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:54 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Here is a rebuttal from the Texas Freedom Network Education Fund regarding the claims made by the conservative Texas Board of Education (which maybe should rename themselves the Texas State Bored of Education).  It's worth the read, for those who are interested in keeping our children truly educated and not merely indoctrinated.  It shows how skewed the perception is of that board, or how skewed they want the textbooks to be.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:59 AM on Sep. 24, 2010