my ex husband frauded medicaid and altered his paycheck to seem as he were low income. I found the paperwork during the divorce. he brought home the boxes from work and we aquired them while moving out of the residence. he also told hud1 he was a single unmarried man and used a different address as a home address. Ive turned him in, I am wandering what they will do? And since I had absolutlely nothing to do with it, will they make me pay his fraud also?

halo72

Asked by halo72 at 6:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• if you were married at the time you can both get in deep shit..(i would think) my ex's ex wife did something similar and served 2 yrs in prison. Accept she did hers with foodstamps
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:16 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• he also told hud1 he was a single unmarried man and used a different address as a home address.

I would think that if you weren't on his paperwork and he was claiming to be single that he would be responsible for any restitution.  Unfortunately, you may need to get legal advise for this to do what you can to protect yourself.  Good luck.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• As long as you didn't lie to them then you should have nothing to worry about. He can spend some time in jail or just probation depending on the Judge's mood. He will more then likely have to also pay a hefty fine.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Don't know but I think you probably should've asked this question BEFORE you turned him in.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• As long as you didn't receive any fraudulently obtained benefits you should be ok but I'd call a lawyer or Legal Aid and ask. You could even call medicaid and hud and ask.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I don't know what the consequences are but wish you much luck!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 6:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• When you are married everything is shared, even criminal activity.. You can claim to not know, but I have a feeling you did... So if you turned him in, you're risking being investigated as well...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• They will do an investigation. Then they will take him to court with the proof that they have aquired. If he is found guilty he could be sentenced with Felony Fraud. It's possible he will get a lesser charge, but he basically commited a serious crime here. Therefore, he will probably get a good hard sentence. If you're not to be found apart of this then you won't have anything to do with it. Whether you're married to him during this or not, if you have no part in this they'll leave you alone. They won't hold you accountable if you're innocent.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Im not so much worried about me because I DID NOT KNOW and Sighned nothing .Really just curios what penalties he faces. I had no other option but to turn him in. I can not even get into school because I have no clue what he has done with taxes. He is a snake and did it all in his office behind my back.I was more hurt to find out he did not consider even being married to me. My attorney knows and no one has in any way said I was liable for his fraud. We are just using the found paperwork to prove he is a Liar. Im not a thief so I never assumed the man I was living with was either
    halo72

Comment by halo72 (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• make him pay back what ever was given him
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 6:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2010