Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Psycologist or Psychiatrists

Which one would i need to contact to get help for social anxiety?It is so bad that my mouth feels like it is trying lock up when i have to speak.And i forget simple things.Icome off sounding really stupid.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Health

Answers (6)
  • Psychiatrists can write presriptions, so if you need an anti anxiety drug that would be your best bet, they are unfortunatly more expensive too.

    Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 7:18 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • You are looking for a therapist. Unless you're looking for medication, but a therapist can recommend and physicaitrist for you. Alot of times people need both therapy and medication, especially at first. Good Luck.

    Answer by Namaste17 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • Psychiatrist = medical doc who can write scripts for meds

    Psychologist = someone you pay to listen to you talk

    Answer by terpmama at 7:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • You can see a Psychologist and if they think you need meds they will tell you to see your PCP for the meds. It' best to ask your PCP who they think you should be referred to depending on how bad you situation is!!


    Answer by Morgain at 8:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • I see a psychologist for my depression/anxiety. She consults with my doctor about what medication I need and my doctor prescribes it. I really like this psychologist. I feel like she listens and wants to help me and I have been dealing with depression since 1997.

    Answer by Izsarejman at 8:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • You can even see a family DR. for Anxiety

    Answer by togo90210 at 12:23 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.