Why is a binki better the extended breastfeeding?

I practice extended breastfeeding with my children, they never took "Binky". I keep seeing questions about weaning a child from a pacifier at three, I look at these people and think yeah if they saw a mom breastfeeding you know they would be having a heart attack, but a child having something that does damage to their teeth, yeah that's ok.

Any one else ever wonder why a child having a pacifier or bottle past a year is ok, but a child older then one nursing is a crime??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• because society made breasts to be something sexual. I breastfeed and will stop when i think i ts best.
    ScubasMommy

Answer by ScubasMommy at 7:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I think its because the breasts are so sexualized. Doing something that the child could potentially remember is wrong somehow.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I so read that wrong! I was trying to figure out how a bikini and breast feeding were related!! lol-I'm dumb.

As for the actual question... People tend to see breast as sexual things rather than a tool for feeding babies. It's just kind of sad.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Ha-ha I totally read bikini too!!!
    And I dont have a good answer. My 2 year old still uses both the breast and the binki.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 7:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'm in the swimsuit club too!! I could not figure that out!!!

I agree with the PP though that boobs=sex in this society so it's "icky". I will say that my DS nursed until 18 months (he self weaned when I got preg) but had a paci (we called it a sucky thing). He was a preemie and they use them often in NICUs when the child is having a tube feed to stimulate the suck reflex and pair it with the feeling of being full. He dropped it himself by 1.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 7:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I agree with the other people about breasts being overly sexualized. It's really sad that people think a binki or a bottle is natural, but breasts aren't. I feel sorry for people who think that way, honestly. My daughter took a binki for a while (from about 4 months to 6 months), then she didn't want it anymore. I think she liked it because that's when she started getting teeth.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:27 PM on Sep. 23, 2010