Ever had to tell your kids no when they sk for seconds because there just isn't any and you can't really afford to make soemthing else...?

WE had rice with hot dogs in it and a can of peas tonight and my kids (6 and 8) wanted more but there wasn't any. I could have given them a banana but that's for breakfast. We get paid tomorrow. It's always like that on Thursdays... I hate it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes of course. i make sure maybe there is somethign small for dessert. like microwave popcorn? we had BLT's last week and my son was like, well, no more BLTS huh? and i said no but we are having peaches and cookies for dessert and he was ok. GOD it must be like this for a LOTT of peopel these days. dont be guilty just space things out like you are doing, your dinner doesnt really sound bad at all! thats what we are doign lol. dont worry and at least we still have work/jobs of some sort., i often have to tell him we have to wait if he wants (hes 7) like a video ganme or som etoy. he is used to it and kids understand in the long run. just hug and kiss them after dinner and that is what counts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 7:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Aww i have been there hugs. do you have milk? if you do give them some of it.
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Oh I am sorry (((hugs))) At least tomorrow is pay day!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:27 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yes I do. Hugs
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 7:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I have been there. My first husband left me and my three sons in the fall many years ago. I came out of the grocery store and saw his car at a bar next door. I went in he was in there with a woman. He was there with snacks and drinks on the table. I went over and told him that there was no money for food or bills. He gave me a $5 bill and told me to buy them hamburgers. This was the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
    At the time I had a part time job. Within a week I had two more jobs. I got food stamps for one month and vowed that I would see that my family was taken care of.
    Call the churches and find out when their food pantries are open.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yes.  Last month we moved here and were completely out of money (had to have my sil wire us some just to get here because we ran out of gas 250 miles from home ).

There was a good 2 week period where we barely had enough food.  There were no seconds, no snacks in between meals, small portions.  Me and my husband were skipping meals so that there would be enough for the kids.  A meal was 1 hot dog, 1 bun and 1 scoop of mac & cheese.  That was it.  We were all hungry but we saw it as character building.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yeah, they had milk with cocoa in it for dessert! I offered some pretzels but they are so tired of those! I guess I should get something else this time. Thank goodness for reduced lunches!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i'm sorry to hear that but i can say no i never have. We do have to budget our money but anytime i make money after paying bills i go straight to the grocery store and buy groceries and snacks even if we already have things...it may be a bad habit i have but i know what its like to do without food as a kid and i don't want my son to ever be hungry or ever have to do without food
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I have been there and done that. Sadly it happens to us once a month. If we have cereal then I sometimes give them a small bowl of that as long as the next day they are going to school since they eat breakfast as school.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:27 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Popcprn is a good idea... I'll try that this week. WE haven't had that in a wihle.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2010