Does my daughter have a rare disease or something?

I'm worried sick about her weight. When Scarlett was born she weighed a healthy 6 lbs 15 oz. She will be 1 year old October 11th and she weighs 13 lbs 12 oz. At 4 months her pediatrician started noticing poor weight gain but before she could test her we moved out of state. There are only 3 pediatricians in the city we live in and the one we chose has very non-invasive beliefs. He is hardly concerned with her as she is very intelligent and even advanced in some areas, but this is just ridiculous. When her pediatrician was concerned before the move she was 4 months old and 10 lbs 11 oz. Now 8 months later she has only gained 3 lbs!!! She averages 1-3 oz gains a week and every few weeks she loses some, like 3 steps forward and 1 step back. We finally found out that she is somewhat formula intollerant and just hated to drink it, so she's been on whole milk for two months. Just recently I've started giving her pediasure also a

momma_shuler

Asked by momma_shuler at 7:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I would get a second opinion if you are that worried. She is at least gaining weight. I wish I could remember what mine weighed at that age but memory eludes me.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Maybe you could get a second opinion out of town.
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 7:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• hey get another opinion! call someone you know who is a nurse! hey call the local hospitals and ask to speak to someone in the mother-baby unit because you have an emergency like question., ask the if they have a breastfeeding hotline and call that at the hospital. ask your doctor whichever is best, for some sort of data or test to PROVE what he or she is saying. about her weight., say i dont like it and am worried. put that in writing and send it to your doctor then theyl;l move their azz, ask other mothers liek us or those you may run into in your new town. also, continue the pedia sure, give ice cream even, as that is what my ex and his wife give their preemie to gain weight. bananas are weighty as well as custards and whole milk, and buttery things. eggs arent recommended til one year old so be careful cake will work tho. like pound cake try that.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 7:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• give her mashed sweet potatoes with butter pleeease that is what i built my son from i forgot to say above lol, babies love them... steam the sweet potato in the microwave for 10 minutes with its skin cut, and then you can peel it off and mash it and really babies love that add milk and butter, also regular potatoies, mashed my pediatrician just told me i can give my six month old
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 7:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• half cover the sweet potati in water in the microwave with the ends cit off so the waves can cook it. then peel it and mash w butter n milk
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 7:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• you can addbrown sugar to the swet potato
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 7:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would get a second opinion first. Is she eating other foods? At almost 1 year she should be eating some solid foods. They may want to put her on a high calorie diet to help her gain weight. Did she have reflux with the formula (spitting up a lot)? She should be able to eat many soft fruits and veggies, oatmea, some noodles, just about anything that is soft and can be easily swallowed.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Where is she on the charts?
    Do you have to stick with the same doctor because of insurance. It sounds as though you are not confident in him/her.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• this does not seem right. They say that baby should triple their weight by the first birthday. she has barely doubled her weight. I would get a second opinion- and a different pediatritian. Hope all is well. Good luck.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I really wouldn't worry about it. Mine all came out very larger and weighed about he same as your weight wise. They just did not gain weight as fast as the other little ones. As long as she is developing and is not suffering from low muscle tone then I would not worry about it. Mine were never on the charts and when they were they on the lowest parts of it. I could just let it go. Make sure that she is eating and drinking and keep an eye on her. But I would not worry about it. And you can generalize about how much weight should be gained but as we see kids develope at all different weights. Mine were around the 8-9 lb mark when they were born and not one of them hit 15lbs before 1. Just give it time and she will make it farther up the charts.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:16 PM on Sep. 23, 2010