smoke and pregnancy

I have a co worker who seems to be constantly going outside to smoke and when he comes back in and sits at the desk across from me it's all I can do to not want to throw up on him because of the smell. Long story short, is the smoke smell that I am inhaling from his smoking harmful to my unborn baby?

lafields26

Asked by lafields26 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would like to know this too. My mom is a HEAVY smoker and I visit my parent's a lot. How hard is 2nd hand smoke on an unborn child?
    Anonymous

• I think that would be considered 2nd hand smoke and it's bad for not only your baby but for you and everyone else too. I'm a non-smoker and I feel the same way you do in public places...especially now that I'm preggo again. I would go to a supervisor and explain how you feel and see if they can move you somewhere else. If not...I wouldn't blame you if you did "accidentially" get sick in his direction :-)
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Yes- 2nd hand smoke it bad for both and thats what it is
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I read in a book about second hand smoke so i asked my doctor about it and he said that its just as bad as if you were smoking yourself..the toxins can also be passed through skin so if someone who smokes alot holds your baby it can be passed that way as well. If it were me i would ask to be moved...you have enough that makes you nauseous without icky smells provoking you..worse cause you could get sick on him and maybe he will decide to move.

mom2b112108

Answer by mom2b112108 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I believe it would still be considered second hand smoke... If you can't tolerate explain to management that you feel it is harmful or that the smell is bothering you... If they refuse to do anything, you could always threaten to sue......
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Second hand smoke and it's toxins are very unhealthy to you and especially the unborn.
    I would change your situation,otherwise you will suffer and your child the side effects of this.
    Anonymous

• As momtobe112008 said it is just as bad as "true second hand smoke" and it can pass through the skin. You are more sensitive to it now because you are prego any strong smell ususally makes prego women go blah. I would ask to be moved, you have valid reasoning for it.
    smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 5:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2008