Please explain exactly how contractions feel

I'm having contractions but can't figure out if they're real. They start at the lower part of my abdomen and go up. Is this how REAL labor contractions feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• how long do they last? do they hurt? do they come at regular intervals?
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Like unbearable leg cramps that last too long and keep coming back. But such a happy feeling.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Not a happy feeling -- a happy ending.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• kind of like a period cramp feeling, but you can kind of feel your muscles & everything else down there contract & kind of stiffen too.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Mine started out like period cramps, then as they got stronger it felt like a muscle spasum starting low and going up. If you think youre starting labor, I would just go in to be checked. Thats what I did, they sent me home and 2 hours later i went back.
    mandapanda942

Answer by mandapanda942 at 7:54 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• you didn't say anything about pain.... that's how you'll know if they're real or just bh. bh are uncomfortable, but don't hurt. real contractions hurt.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• hun, you'll know..if you're not sure you're not in labor...it's contractions coupled with the most intense pain of your life..I thought I was going to die
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• like menstrual cramps that kill you lol
    ScubasMommy

Answer by ScubasMommy at 8:18 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Contractions should start in your back and work themselves around to your uterus. You should feel tightness for 60-90 seconds. They should increase with time, and be in a consistent pattern. Try drinking a BIG glass of water and laying down on your side. If they don't let up, then they are more than likely real contractions.

If you are full term, once they are 5-8 mins apart, you should held to the hospital. If you are pre-term (anything before 37 weeks) and you think you are having contractions, you need to get to the hospital very soon to stop labor. Good luck.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Severe menstrual cramps that come and go. Every mom I've talked to describes them like this.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:08 AM on Sep. 24, 2010