First Grader refuses to do his work in school. Help?

School just started and we have been to school talking to teacher 3 times! He is behind in his reading and just stops. Completing assigned classwork and he starts, then plays with his fingernails, pencil, etc. and everyday the same note from the teacher and he has to finish the assignment at home. He's had his eyes checked, hearing, don't know what to do. He'll probably go to school counselor next. We work with him at home too, at times up to 2 hours. He does his work at home willingly and seems to understand it. Any suggestions?

betteboop2

Asked by betteboop2 at 7:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• could be be bored? if he's doing it without problem, maybe it's just not challenging enough for him?
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 7:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• oh the poor littl eguy. you have to talk with him gently and say, even tho school isnt as fun as home, you must do your worksheets and pay attention., you rteacher;s job is like mommy and daddys at home. please be goo dbecause then you can have a good life in the future when YOU are big! he probably is liek my son, who told his kindergarten teacher... "i dont really want to do that right now!" kids have a HARD time becoming socialized in the system of schooling sometimes. dont be too hard on him and plan somethign nice and fun or gentle when he comes home so he can look forwar dot something after concentrating at school. it is harder than kindergarten, first grade,. my son is in second and it is even harder to grasp. he gets straight A's so listen to me. tell him dont worry abotu your grades, the only way for them to knwo you knwo this stuff is to put it on the paper. this will work u guys. hugs to him and you. be understandin
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 7:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• He may not be ready for all the work of 1st grade. It is not too late to take him out of 1st grade and have him go to kindergarden again. Next year he wil be ready and wil have an edge on the other kids.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 8:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• If he is doing with difficulty maybe he just needs practice in sticktoitiveness. Try a reward system for no notes form the teacher. Mine loves comic books, stickers, and art supplies.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:43 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Make sure the teacher is actually realistic about what she/he expects. My son's first grade teacher thought he was a college professer. The third week of school he expected the kids to write at least five sentences in their journals every day and gave my kid a D in writing because he could only rite two!!!!!!!!!! Kindergarten only expected two, so five is a big jump. This teacher gave my kid bad reading grades because he couldn't do worksheets that asked about "characters" and "setting" and "plot." What first grader even knows or cares what those things are? I tell you, teachers are trying to shove too much on our kids and then telling us we are bad parents when our kids fail. I hate it.
    mominnorthvegas

Answer by mominnorthvegas at 10:02 AM on Sep. 30, 2010