How long after getting spayed can you let an outside cat back outside?

Just got our cat fixed 2 days ago. The vet says I have to take her back in in 10-14 days to get the stitches out. We paid $16 for a cone to put on her head because she licks/chews at the stitches. I've been keeping her in the basement (because DH is VERY allergic) in a little kennel and during the day I let her roam the basement. I showed her the litter box and when DH came home tonight and I was pleased to report she had pee'd and poo'd. I'm pregnant so that also meant he had to change the litter/get rid of the poo. Well he let her back out & took off her cone. I think it's too early... any of you have an outside cat who was fixed? How long after getting fixed is it OK to let 'em back out? I'm worried she'll jump around & rip her wound open again.

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Pets

• I have had several done as well and allowed them to go out when they were ready. I would keep an eye on the site of surgery and they were all fine..
    dana63

Answer by dana63 at 8:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I have had a lot of cats fixed. I have never restricted activity afterwards. They won't do anything they shouldn't. I would also take the stitches out myself. JMO!
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i think a couple of days is good if the incision site looks ok (no signs of infection, etc.). in my experience trying to keep them contained sometimes makes them do crazy stuff anyway, so i just let them go out a couple of days post-op.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Well then I feel better about it. Maybe I will take them out myself, or I'll try. She's a wiggle worm when you hold her but she's the sweetest kitty who happened to find her way into our garage in the spring. :)
    Today I kept checking on her and literally every time all she was doing was sitting there staring straight ahead. It was a little creepy but I was glad she wasn't hidden in some little nook & cranny place in our house I never knew about.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I personally would have given her a few more days because two days just is not enought time for the incision sight to start healing. She could pull the incision apart fromjumping so I would keep an eye on it. I actually had a dog that pulled part of her spay incision apart when I was taking her out on a leash instead of walking down the stairs she lept.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:43 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• When we get the wild outside cats fixed we give the girls 4-5 days. We always have them put in dissolving stitches.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 7:17 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I thought dissolving stitches were a given nowadays...
    We ended up keeping her in another night, DH said bad weather was coming & he felt better about that and so did I. I might let her out tonight... she really seems like she's doing well, but I still am worried about her jumping and ripping open her incision.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It really just depends on the vet ans what their preference is.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2010