Is your first grader reading?

My first grader is reading a ton and I cannot believe it. I am so proud. Kids these days are learning so much so fast.

jshimmy

Asked by jshimmy at 8:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Mine was.. congrats to yours.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• That's awesome! It's a great thing to be proud of :)

My son is only 2, so no reading yet for him. My nephew is a super reader though! He slept over a few weeks ago and I offered to read him a bed time story but he preferred to read it to me. I let him thinking it was going to take FOREVER, but he flew through it and used vocal inflections and read some words that I thought were going to be really tough for him.

I think you're right, kids are learning so much more so much earlier these days. Sounds like you're doing something especially right with your little super reader though :) Keep up the good work!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My oldest has blown me away always with his amazing reading skills. His dad will usually leave when I read the bedtime story, but when I let ds read, daddy sticks around. We are both so amazed and proud. Even from Kinder to First grade, the improvement has been tremendous!
    luv.my.kids.365

Answer by luv.my.kids.365 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• yes. my DD learned to read in Kindergarten
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 8:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Mine is in second grade this year and is a great reader...loves books! It is definately something to be proud of! My son likes to read the bedtime story to his 3 year old sister :)
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• mine CAN read..some... but she hates reading..its a daily stuggle!! i'm actually heading to a "meet the teacher" night, right now so i am excited/nervous to hear what she has to say....
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 8:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Ohohoh...can I brag too. My son is in 9th grade, he just took a test to determine reading level. He scored 12.9*..which means he got as high as it would go and scored college level. Whoo-Hoo!!
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• my son is reading now too. it completely took me by surprise! it was like he needed the summer off to absorb all that he learned in kindergarten!
    I am going to teach him calculus this year! (just kidding!)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yes, she is. Really, really well.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yes, Julita read well even before she began school.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010