do you think burning toys is a way to teach children to pick them up?

my mom always told us to pick up our toys and bring them in. we would sometimes leave our toys in our yard. one night it rained although our toys were just fine. i was six,my sister was five,my younger sister was three and my brother was two. our mom made a big pile of all of our toys and burned them outside. she made us watch. she said it would teach us to pick up our toys. i didn't get taught that. all i thought was how i could i pick up toys if i didn't have any.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think burning a childs toy and having them watch is too traumatic. I too have often told my children to pick up after themselves; and after one too many times, I finally decided to collect what they've left around and donated it to goodwill - what I told them was that since they had no appreciation for what they have, i was going to donate it to those less fortunate. They cried at first, but then they eventually understood and felt great about what we did. Good luck.
    ladycertz

Answer by ladycertz at 8:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• She should have donated them to kids that appreciated them, if she really wanted to teach you. Sounds like a crapburger move to me!!
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Your mom sounds like she is mentally impaired. That is not cool at all. Sorry it happened to you. D:
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• no donating them would of been better
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 8:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• That sounds like a ridiculous thing to do to a child!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My Mom there things away, which she though taught us something but it did not. It truly hurt me when she threw things away. It would have been much more effective to take them put them in a bag and then give them back to us after a given time period. That is what I do with my little ones.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i agree that your mom sounded like she had some issues. on the plus side (yes, there is one!), you can take that experience and learn from it so you can do better for your kids.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My aunt did something similar. I was spending the weekend and my aunt went through the house and threw out everything that was not where it belonged. It was mainly toys and a few clothes. I thought she was going to bring them back in. She didn't. This was so very long ago and I still remember this vividly.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:37 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• omg!!! that is jus cruel!!!...i jus tell my son that he cant have snack until he picks up his toys...and he runs to clean up bcuz he wants something...that all no burning of toys or throwing toys away!!!...wow how crazy she was burning up her own money... that is torture to me...plzzz dont pass that down to your kids
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 8:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I don't think that teaches anything. Its like torture. Kids don't always pick up they're toys. Moms know that. To burn them and make the kids watch is just horrible. So sorry you had to endure that, hope you don't do it to your little ones.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 23, 2010