If a baby has been sleeping for a few hours, Should you wake him or her for their feeding? or let them sleep?

soccerfanatic14

Asked by soccerfanatic14 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if baby is less than 2 months and if they are asleep for 5 hours, then, yes. If they are older or haven't been asleep for 5, then, no.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would NEVER wake a sleeping baby unless the doctor said too. Like if the baby is a preemie of something. Otherwise (s)he will let you know when they are hungry,
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 8:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• We did that with our son and I know with the next one, we will NOT be doing that. He was gaining weight just fine so I don't recommend it. Only feed if they wake up hungry :-)

Good Luck! :-)

~Alyssa
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4theLoveofMyFamily.com
    www.sandamaliska.blogspot.com
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 8:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• same here I wouldn't wake a sleeping baby either unless a doctor says to and even then some are wrong on that. My youngest was 8.7 and when I left the hospital their instructions told me to wake her every 2-3 hours to feed her, but I didn't there was no health reason she wasn't underweight or anything like that so I always just waited until they woke up now if I was getting ready to go to bed or something and the baby hasn't eaten for at least 2 hours then yes I would wake them to feed them before going to bed only because I new if I went to lay down as soon as I dozed off the baby would be waking me to eat lol other than that I din't wake them. If you wake them every 2 hours they will get on that schedule and want to eat every 2 hours
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I was told to feed my children every 3-4 hours at night until they we 10 pounds and 5 weeks. This was because their metabolism is still developing and their blood sugar could drop causing them to not wake up even if they are hungry. The low blood sugar could cause them to sleep until the hunger pains got painful. That's why hungry babies wake up screaming and not just fussing. All of this per my Ped. Two different offices and doctors.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I never woke mine up to eat. The doctor said to let them sleep, but if he is sleeping more than 8 hours then wake him up to eat. And my son was 20 lbs at 3 months old, so he was far from hungry.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• *pangs got painful. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• after 6 weeks, as long as there is not a dipe count problem or a gain problem, then let them sleep...babies know what they need
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I agree with another post. As long as they're eating healthy, gaining properly, and have normal bowel movements let them sleep.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i would not wake a sleeping baby.
    i had a baby in the nicu that was on a feeding schedule. a sub nurse came in and fed my baby on demand and he doubled his consumption.
    i had one baby with pretty bad jaundice, and it was sooooo awful trying to wake him to feed. he had no energy as it was, and then to disrupt his sleep, he spent his energy crying instead of eating.
    being a mom is hard!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2010